A New Gun

Quote:
Heck no. A .22 is great for learning basic marksmanship and closer range predator control. They're just plain fun to shoot. You might graduate to the bigger artillery some day and start a new hobby. I've got a really cool wife, I can buy her guns for christmas and not get shot with them!

Your .22 is a fine rifle and will serve you well for years. You can accessorize your arsenal at your own pace. I'd add a shotgun next.

Quote:
funny, that's what my hubby says about guns in general... get one of each!
gig.gif

Our chickens are covered and fenced in and so far so good. The only pests my husband has had to shoot were a few cotton mouths with a 12 gauge.

Quote:
Heck no. A .22 is great for learning basic marksmanship and closer range predator control. They're just plain fun to shoot. You might graduate to the bigger artillery some day and start a new hobby. I've got a really cool wife, I can buy her guns for christmas and not get shot with them!

Your .22 is a fine rifle and will serve you well for years. You can accessorize your arsenal at your own pace. I'd add a shotgun next.

yuckyuck.gif

Ha ha
lol.png
My husband usually buys me tools !

By the way, I think I need to mention that I have neighbors on both sides of me. I have one acre of land. Anything I shoot will have to be very carefully aimed and probably not very long ranged. I have all woods behind me though. The local ordinance says I can shoot guns on my own property, but not within 300 ft from any house. Each neighbor is just about 300 ft away from my back yard.

Quote:
No. Although a larger caliber is suggested for critters like coyotes.

I have a .12 gauge slug gun for bear; we live part year in an area where bear have attempted to visit people inside their houses whether the people want them there or not. A bear will happily tear a door off the hinges in order to enter. It is just a matter of changing the choke on the shotgun to turn it into a slug gun. The slug choke is in it unless we're going someplace where we want to use shot.

The laws in Georgia on bear hunting used to be no matter what gun you carried on a bear hunt, you had to have a sidearm of a .44 mag or larger. So the .44 mag is my choice. The .300 mag I have is just a long range shooter, to heavy to hunt with. So the .44 is fine by me. I like the .44 over the shotgun.

Quote:
if you're worried about the down-range issue, and from the size of your property that's appropriate, a shotgun would be better. a .22 will get off your property with no problem. shot might too, but is less likely to do any major harm once it does because the deadly force range is considerably shorter.

any my hubby buys me tools too... and sometimes guns
big_smile.png

Quote:
We hear shots in the neighborhood all the time. There is a gun range nearby and this is also deer hunting season. I think my neighbors on one side would be pretty kewl about it, but on the other side, they are transplants from Boston with young children. This is a concern for me of course, so I will not shoot the gun unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. The neighbors will be told about it so they don't freak out if they happen to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom