A new Hobby Soap making Love it

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by BamaChicken, Apr 8, 2011.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Paddock Joy gave me some soap and I was hooked. She gave me a recipe and supply list and that was in Sept last year. I quickly got on line and read up and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Buff here is that site where I bought the Chamomille Flowers. They also have lavender
    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/wholchamflow.html

2. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Does anyone have a supply list and an easy recipe for us beginners they would be willing to share?

3. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks Julie! Going there now!

The fig soap is beautiful BTW. Can't wait for my stuff to come in!! ( imagine sing-songy voice here)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:That was going to be my next question too. Please, please, please. I'd love to make some soap.

5. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Here is a test batch Recipe that I use for 2 lb of soap
    10oz of Coconut Oil
    10oz of Olive Oil
    10 oz of Palm Oil
    2 oz of Castor Oil

11.5 oz water
    4. 4 oz of Lye

I add one oz ofShe butter melted at Trace. If you don't know what trace it Google soap trace and go to about.come. They have a very good tutorial and a good small recipe

Never add water to lye. Always add lye to water

I generally combine mine when the oils and they lye are within 10 degrees of each other. About 100 to 110 degrees.

6. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I can't wait to get supplies and try this.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I would love to make soap! I just about died when you said Bergamot and Tea, then I noticed the coconut lol,,,, I'm allergic! Someday I will learn how!

8. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    I am sure you could find another oil if you are allergic to Coconut. Maybe try lard in place of it.. I mixed two fragrances together in the Coconut/Lime was one and the Bergomot and white tea another.

9. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Ok. Got chamomile and also some lavender ordered. How have you used lavender?? I was thinking maybe lavender and vanilla??

See this is why I was hesitant to get started. I cant go simple I jump in with both feet. All out! Hahhaah

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I've made one not very successful batch of soap, and I'll try more; but I'd like to share a mold idea that I found. Hobby Lobby and Micheal's both have unpainted wood objects that you can decorate. I found a lidded wooden box at one of them that made a perfect soap mold. I think the box is about 9 x 12 inches and about 4 inches deep. It is labeled as a "decoupage memory box". It only cost about $7, so it is a bargain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by