A new Hobby Soap making Love it

I have some friends who are getting ready to go to Canada on a fishing trip n a couple of weeks, and they were wondering if I could make them soap for mosquitos. Could someone tell me what makes a good insect repellant soap? Do oils make any diff. And what eo or fo work best? I think citrus works, but which ones. I remember someone mentioning on the smh they had made insect repellant soap, but did not give any particulars. Not looking for anyones special recipe, Just want to know what oils not to use, if that makes a diff and what's the best eo,fo's. Thanks!
smile.png

Debbie~

You're better off with a leave-on product such as an eo blend (about 2%-3% in a carrier oil). Soap is a wash off product.

catnip
citronella
eucalyptus
cedarwood

are all good.

I grow catnip in my garden just so I can crush leaves and rub it on.

Hi! If it's not too late, they could start taking double doses of B-12. I take a 'super B complex' and a B12 and the mosquitos don't bite me ever. My husband says B12 makes him *feel funny* and won't take it (in his case, it's mental) --- and they mosquitoes eat him up. I don't think there are any health issues / complications from taking extra during mosquito season.
smile.png

Lisa
Quote:

Hi everyone! I just found this thread (saw the 400+ page one a while ago) and thought I'd stop in to say "Hi".

I've been making cold-process soap for a while. I can't even remember the last time I used store soap. LOL

I love to see everyone's pictures, especially the soaps with additives or ones that look look rustic.

I also enjoy looking at soaps that use a blending of cold-process and melt & pour in something different looking. That's pretty cool when soapers do that.

Lemongrass, also scented with essential oil.
100845_dsc05775.jpg

This is Pink, a fragrance oil.
100845_dsc06106.jpg

So that's me. Horse lover, Wyandotte lover and soap maker.
smile.png
I also loooove my golden puppy; I just WISH he would go to the barn with me but he gets bored there.

Last edited:
your have beautiful soaps! Love the softness of the colors. What do you use to color with? Clays? I haven't started using colorants yet. I'm trying to perfect my recipe first. I'm new to soaping. Only 4 batches so far, but I really love it. Don't think I will be going back to store bought either!
smile.png

And
welcome-byc.gif
This is a great site! I've been on here for a little over 3 yrs and I just discovered the hobby thread in may!! Just didn't browse anywhere but the chicken forums! Now I check out this thread almost dailey! Very interesting to see what everyone is in too.
caf.gif

Quote:
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's funny . . . I only joined this board to talk about chickens (I already have a horse forum and a soap forum) but yet here I am looking at a soap thread on a chicken board.
smile.png

For color, I use clays, ultramarine and and other pigments. I also use cocoa powder. I love the bright look of the pop micas but haven't gone that direction yet and probably wont.
For anyone new to making soap: please don't try to use food coloring to color your soap.

I haven't read all of the replies, but the first post on here was about "monkey farts" scented soap. I was wondering how that turned out for you. Did it turn brown? I'm willing to bet it had some vanilla in it. Vanilla always turns brown. I've been making cold process soap for about 10 years now. So much fun!

I like the Monkey Farts name! Awesome! But the Drakkar fragrance? Oh, oh and double OH! That is still one of my favortie smells! Nice job and they look beautiful just the way they are. I have never liked fancy shaped soap, give me a good ol' bar anyday. Nice job!

Quote:
I make candles/melts and my monkey farts is coconut and banana and it's a yellow color. Some may add vanilla. I want to make soap, but I am scared of the lye!

i got 4 batches in molds.. cp...
2 re batched in molds

and 4 pounds of MP in molds lol

2 batches of lotions that need to be bottled

77 bottles of perfumes bottled

190 rooms sprays

35 soap shots see poto

155 body sprays

100 soap pops

60 pounds of sea salt done

320 bath bombs/fizzies

50 coffin gift sets