A new Hobby Soap making Love it

I SOOOOO need intervention!! I just bought a pumpkin lager FO and a pumpkin spice and a creamcheese frosting one. AND some micas to color these batches and a stamp for my GM soaps.... SO plan is to do a pumpkin lager with.... a lager beer, preferably pumpkin and it (hopefully:fl) will have a nice white frosty top on it..... we'll see. This will be my "october bar". Then I'm going to have a pumpkin cheesecake bar. I havent decided whether to just do a swirl of pumpkin and cheese cake (YUMMY!!!!!) or a layer of pumpkin with layer of cheesecake on top. This will be my "november bar" and may add a cranberry spice bar for november too. Sheesh!! I'm so crazy!

I have several questions to ask those of you that have been making these beautiful soaps.
I've been making soap for many years, I know that it is weird for a man to be making soap but nevertheless, I do.
I make all of our laundry soap, and some of our hand soaps but, I tried to scent my hand soaps and they smell good at first but by the time they cure the scent has all but disappeared.

So, 1st question, How do I get the scent to linger?

My grandmother also made soap both laundry type, which I have her recipe for, and a lovely hand soap of which I have some of hers I've saved for over 30yrs. It is pure white and it floats like "Ivory" soap. She would never tell anyone what the ingredients were to make that soap. I've tried to make some like it but never succeeded.

So, 2nd question, does anyone hear have any idea what oil or grease she could've made it from that will produce pure white floating soap?

I will check back here or you can email me at [email protected] [email protected]

Quote:
Quit being a sexist. Men make soap. Men make some pretty dang awesome soap. Creativity is not limited to us women, a few good me have been endowed with good genes.

I bet your grandmother rendered her own fat for her soaps.

You need an avatar, the buggs bunny roadrunner!
frow.gif
Welcome to the soapers forum. Hope to see you around. Post some pics (of your soap).

Last edited:
There is a whipped soap you can make that will float. Without more info about your grandma's soap I don't know what else it could be if it weren't whipped.

As far as scent, where are you getting your scents and how much are you using?

Last weekends soaps - fresh goats' milk, lard, olive oil, coconut oil, and sunflower oil
57451_09022011.jpg

Eucalyptus Spearamint - colored with green chrome oxide, ITP swirl
57451_es2011.jpg

Black Raspberry Vanilla - ITP swirl with ultramarine pink
57451_brv2011.jpg

Coconut Lime Verbena - Just poured a line of green down the middle
57451_clv2011.jpg

Amber Romance - colored with some yellow oxide, turning pretty dark as it cures
57451_ar2011.jpg

Very pretty!! I haven't done colors yet. I just ordered some powders from camden-grey. I have a ? At what point do you take out your batch to color? I'm going to make soap today. I'm going to try some colorants. I'm kinda nervous!
hide.gif
My recipe has several oils in it and I don't want to mess it up. Also, when you make multiple batches, do you clean your pot and stick blender after each batch.

I color at trace when I add my FO. That was the instruction I got when I first started. I have only used oxides though but I would assume by all the other recipes etc that I've read it is the same. As far as mixing half for swirls etc, ........ As soon as I mix my oils and lye mix together and get it blended to very light trace I'll take out some, but then sometimes I end up having to stir it more to get it to thicken up more. I guess it depends on your color technique as to how thick you want it before you separate. You dont want to get it too thick before you separate to color and then not have any time to work to get your swirl, esp if you have a FO that accelerates or one you aren't familiar with. Thats basically what happened with my raw hamburger meat rebatch a few posts back. As soon as I added my FO it was acting weird, but I pulled some out to swirl and by the time I came back to the main pot it was seized.

I clean between each batch. #1 Ive made such a mess I HAVE TO CLEAN UP!! #2 stick blender, etc has color/FO on it that needs to be cleaned so as not to contaminate next batch.

I'm soaping today too. Good Luck with the colors. Hopefully a pro will come on and verify for you!!

Last edited:
Thanks Buff! I'm getting ready to start in just a bit. Been tending to a what I thought was an eggbound hen, the last couple of days. Took her to the vet this morn and she has cancer.
sad.png

But he made her feel better for now so i'm going to turn her out with the others and then start soaping! Can't wait to get started. I haven't soaped since June! I almost forget how! That is why I'm a little nervous.

Back
Top Bottom