A new Hobby Soap making Love it

Thanks Buff! Sounds like your having a bad soap week! So sorry.
sad.png
I only got one batch made on saturday. Intended to do at least 2, but wanted to do 3. I made unscented goatmilk, oatmeal, and honey. I used 4 different oils and 2 butters. It came out a very light buttery color. I'm not sure of the scent of it though. Even though I didn't put any in, it has a kinda vanilla-y scent, which I like, but then a couple of times it smelled a little ammomia-y. Hopefully it will not stay that way! As I have had a few people ask for unscented soap!? Hopefully will get to make some more on Fri. My biggest problem is deciding what scent to make. I want to make a fall scent. Maybe a cinnamon orange scent. Still haven't made any colored soap yet. I might get brave with the orange/cinn and use cocoa powder for a brown and something for the orange. What do you think?

Yes, soaps were CRAZY!! I have noticed that some soaps have an almost ammonia smell that fades as it dries, not sure how long out these are but if mine are even a bit "tacky feeling" they tend to have an odd smell that fades as they dry. I'm waiting on a ppumpkin spice that I will use canned pumpkin in it. I'm going to swirl it with a cream cheese frosting (maybe), can't wait on that one......

oooo! pumpkin spice made with pumpkin!!! I like that. I don't have any pumpkin spice scent, but maybe some cinnamon in it. Hummmm! Or cinnamon made with applesauce! I will have to think on that. Can I use pumpkin pie spice in my soaps? Is that what you are using or is it an fo? I don't want it to be an irritant. I know some like cinnamon can be. Glad to know the ammonia smell will fade! kinda had me worried. Also has anyone put a fan on their soaps to cure it faster? If things go right and I can get more made this weekend, I have a chance to go to a craft festival with a friend the 9-11 of oct. I know that is not a 4- 6 week window, but I thought if I set a fan on it everyday it would cure out faster. what do you think?

I do a pumpkin spice soap that has cinnamon, clove, cassia and benzion eo's with purreed pumpkins. It does well in the fall. Do not use more than .25oz ppo for these eo's though.

If you want your soaps to cure faster, use a water discount. But only of fo's that don't move fast.

Quote:
I went to our local health food store and purchased clove bud and cinnamon-cassia. Is this the type of cassia you use or is there just a cassia? It smells very spicy. I really like it. The bottles I bought are only 1/3 of an oz. I want to make a 4-5 lb batch, so I'm going to have to make up the difference with just cinnamon. It probably is going to be very cinnamon-y. I'm also bought a can of pumpkin and going to try to incorporate it. I'm going to go back and read SMH on this process. On discounting liquid, how much should I discount? I'm using frozen gm.

I bought my lye today! Atwoods has it. 2lbs for 15.00.
wee.gif
Ok now if I could just find the palm oil locally. I can make some soap!

Back
Top Bottom