A new member looking to gain some more knowledge!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chippysmom327, Nov 26, 2012.

1. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Hey Everyone!

No, I don't live in Pittsburgh, I live in the country. I live with 3 awesome mutts, 2 golfish, my chicken Chipmunk (Chippy) and 25 hermit crabs Yep, you heard right! 25 hermit crabs! I know, I'm crazy. I am on 2 different hermit crab forums and if I have any fellow crabbers here reading, my name's Crabbielover1031 on HCA and LHC . I own a hermit crab rescue, called Caring Claws Hermit Crab Rescue. Here's a picture of one of my crabs, Candy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7624715730/in/set-72157627339808737

Now a little about how I got my chicken:

2 years ago for the Science Fair, I wanted to do something fun and stereotypical. I wanted to hatch chicken eggs! One of my best friends owned over 40 chickens on her farm, so I could get some eggs from her! She gave me 17 eggs, and after candling, I found that 14 were fertilized. One just stopped developing, so we threw it out because it started to stink. 13 little chicks hatched, and 3 died within the first 2 days of being alive. I took 3 and my friend took the other 7, and we cared for them until they were old enough to go outside. Once outside, all of my friend's were killed by wild dogs and raccoons, foxes, etc. I was kinda mad, because it was like she didn't really care about them. When my black bantee was about 3 months, he started crowing, then got mean, so we gave him to my cousin's neighbor who was looking for a feisty roo. One of my other chicken (a big white sussex) started crowing around 9 months old. Yep, he was a real late crower. Around the time of crowing, he got SUPER mean. I used to be able to pet him, but one day, he started attacking EVERYONE. Jumping at their face, pecking and clawing them when they had their backs turned. So we had to put him down. That left me with my sweet little bantee mutt Chipmunk. All my chickens were mutts. I'll post some pics in a different thread of the day they were all hatched. Here's a link to a photo album of Chippy, it only contains one pic and one video:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627339801883/

Well that's all pretty much about me... feel free to ask questions or yell at me for not having another companion for my lone chicken. My next door neighbor also has a lone hen who comes over and they hang out, so my chicken's not totally lonely. [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, sounds like you have your hands full! Feel free to ask about anything you need help with.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you on BYC! Sorry to hear that you lost your first chickens! Better luck with your next hatch!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and, Welcome To BYC!!
    [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you aboard in the chicken world!

10. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes! [​IMG]

I'm still learning how to navigate around this place! I can't really answer any of these questions yet, but I'm learning!! [​IMG]

My neighbor's chicken mysteriously disappeared. [​IMG] I may get a few chicks in the spring, keep one for myself, and give a few to my neighbor... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by