A New Predator in the Neighborhood- The worst (if you ask me!)

Can you just make you chicken pen and coop more secure? Maybe use strong wire mesh? If you don't, maybe after you get rid of the fisher something else will come along to take its place.

Sorry about your birds.

You need stronger fencing, such as hardware cloth. Have you figured out how it is getting in? Are you locking them up at night? Maybe leave a radio on, tuned to talk radio (if there are any where you are) all night?

I've had some run ins recently with a fisher here. I'm actually surprised you have any birds left. They can do a lot of damage in a short time.

Thank you all for your replies. For the most part I am to blame for the loss, they are housed in a small, older coop and run (in the woods about 80' from the house). I used when I first started keeping chickens (about 3yrs ago). It wasn't as secure as it could be, until lastnight. We worked hard after work trying to find all the small places it could get thru and I think that will definately help. We caught Rocky Racoon lastnight, I know it wasn't him that did all the damage because I laid eyes on that darn Fisher! It would be much easier to handle if it wasn't a weasel family critter, they squeeze into all the small spaces.
Yes, I do have hardware cloth "integrated" into the run. I say integrated because it's like half chicken wire and half hardware cloth. I started with chicken wire before I learned about the HC and kicked myself for not using it, but I didn't take down what I had started.
I have a totally new area for my chickens now, I needed more room (chicken math strikes again!) so we bought another coop and built a great, predator resistant (big time) run 8x12 for them.
So tonight, once again, we will set the trap and see what we find!
Thanks again!
smile.png

hey Big Dog - you are in Australia (which we know as the Outback!) - things are a bit more of a police state in the USA, to say the least, even in remote areas.

The first thing to do is to secure the coop so he can't get inside or reach through the wire. (which it sounds like you already did)

Then you can get to work and try to trap him. For a fisher, you might have to resort to a professional trapper. I believe a leg hold trap is going to be just about the only option.

Beautiful fur. You'll get a nice collar for your winter coat.

There are often laws on your side when it comes to predators killing your livestock. It may be best to contact a game warden for advice on your legal right to protect your animals.

Fisher can be tricky to trap. If they have a taste for your flock, perhaps an appropriate sized live trap setup with some feathers/skin as bait can work. Just make sure the trap is well camouflaged.

you can normally protect your property.
don't S S S
there are always biologist doing studies on critters. they do put chips in them at times. you would never know. it sends out a dead animal signal, guess were they will find it.
if you cage it, call fish and game. they will move it, may include it in a study.

Yes, sounds like a good time to give the old chicken house a refit! Once you make it predator proof, you won;t need to bother with tapping of disposing of the fisher of other predators as your hens will be safe. Without access to your birds the predator will likely look else where for food too.

I love my chickens, but I also love seeing unusual native wildlife too.

Yes, sounds like a good time to give the old chicken house a refit! Once you make it predator proof, you won;t need to bother with tapping of disposing of the fisher of other predators as your hens will be safe. Without access to your birds the predator will likely look else where for food too.

I love my chickens, but I also love seeing unusual native wildlife too.

Oh, please don't get me wrong...I enjoy native wildlife too and I have a hard time dispatching and have to have DH do the dirty work. But we will not unnecessarily kill an animal.
Things have been pretty quiet since the coon, I hope it stays that way. I did do a refit on the old coop, maybe it just gave up and moved on...I sure hope so!

things must be pretty strange on the other side of the river here, never heard of a chip that puts a dead animal signal out.

get rid of the pest and just dont tell the world. call it a benefit of being an apex predator.

Back
Top Bottom