A new respect for cows UPDATE!! Post #1

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
TMost everyone knows that I am not fond of cows and think the only good cow is the one disguised as a ribeye. A dumber creature was never put on this earth; and yes they are dumber than chickens and you'll never convince me otherwise.
Something happened the other day that gave me a new respect for cows.
DH and I were headed to town when I saw something black "piled up" in one of the pastures, with a bunch of cows gathered around it. I wasn't sure what it was I saw so I had DH back up. It was a young heifer down. DH got out to check on her and she struggled to get up as he approached. He said he believes she was suffering from what the old-timers around here call "hardware disease"; cows have a strange habit of eating things they aren't suppose to, like aluminum, farm implements, etc.
DH got out his cell phone and called the neighbor that the cows belong to. We lease our pastures to him so he can graze some of his herd here.
We decided to keep an eye on her while we waited for him to get down here. I watched with fascination the other heifers response to the sick one. Some of them used their noses to gently encourage her to get up. Others pushed piles of hay from the nearby haystack around her and even placed some on her back. Still others licked her about her face and neck.
The other members of the herd showed real concern for the member of their family that was ailing.
So, I still think cows are dumber than a box of rocks, but I have a new respect for how they respond as a family group.

I just talked to the farmer that owns the heifer and she pulled through. He said he had another heifer go down the next day and she pulled through as well. However, he said they are having a terrific year for calving, but a horrible year for cows. Another neighbor told him that he has lost 4 heifers this winter and a shocker for me! This huge bull that I admired every time I saw him is dead. They just found him that way in his pasture yesterday morning. DH says they need to be checking the bull for bullet holes since he rarely left his pasture near the road.
So, happily the heifer is okay. I told him I will be keeping a very close watch on the rest of the herd until they can figure out what's going on.

Last edited:
You know I disagree with you on the intelligence level of cows.
smile.png
They're just like people ....some have lots of brains, while others not so much.

Oh yea, they are just like goats, chickens, husbands and kids. They are smart enough to know where the food comes from. Dang fool steer I have STILL screams at me cause I bottle fed him months ago.

Growing up around my grandparents dairy farm I wasnt under any impression that the cows were dumb. They all had different personalities.
My nieces/nephews live on a cattle/hog farm and it never ceases to amaze me what they can train their cattle to do for 4H.
I am not surprised that the cattle would be "concerned" about one of their own, it definitely made me smile.

Last edited:
It is not unusual for me to see an older cow licking on her now adult daughter who we have kept in the herd. They are not dumb creatures. Out in the pastures when most of the herd is off grazing there will be one or two cows who remain behind with the "nursery" of new calves.

Katy, maybe I would like them better if they weren't always into things. I can see your point though. They do have some sense as a family unit.
smile.png

I sit for hours in our pastures, watching the cows. You learn so much about them just sitting and watching. I know for a fact that when a mom and her siblings are in the same pasture they always end up back together. When a baby balls out, you can bet not one momma cow will come but many will. It warms my heart to see a mom and baby walking by or playing with each other. They are just too cute. We show cattle and working with them daily you see the difference in personality.

What is fun is when you just sit real still on the golf cart, before you know it you will have the whole heard around you sniffing, and licking at you and the cart they are just so curious.
love.gif

Quote:
I haven't heard, but I doubt she made it. She was in pretty rough shape.
sad.png

I'll ask about her when the farmer comes to buy eggs this week.

Back
Top Bottom