A Newbi from McComb Mississippi!

Nellie601

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
McComb, MS
I have been the owner of 6 new chicks for a week and a day now. In my search for answers, I am always lead right to this website. No other site has been able to answer questions with such ease and know how. So today I decided to join since honestly, I don't really trust anything from any other site. The members and operators here seem so helpful and knowledgable. I'M HOOKED!!!

Already I do have some concerns. Most of the time I'm researching their poop. They seem to have the runny "chocolate" pool. At first I thought it was just one, but it seems like they all do it sometimes. It seems like I remember reading that they will do it like every 10th poop and other times I read that it could be a problem. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

One thing that I am going to do today is find out how old the chic were when we got them. And also, I don't think they have had any medicated starter feed so I may change it today since I'm thinking that they were new chicks. (Seems like I remember the man saying that the Rhode Island Red pullets were "new chicks".) So in that case, they may need so medicated feeder. Also, I let my kids, my 14 daughter in particular, read most of the stuff I read, or I read it aloud to them, and that's the one thing she keeps asking about (the medicated feed).

So I look forward to reading and learning more from such great chicken enthusiast! Any new beginner stuff that you feel I must know or do, please feel free to let me know.

Until then, happy reading, happy chickens!

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

This is THE place to be for all the good info!
wink.png
If the poop seems always to be a dark reddish to black in color and not solid, it is possible they have coccidiosis, a naturally occurring protozoa in the intestines of all birds. When babies are young, it can overwhelm their systems causing a bit of ulceration in the intestines and the colors of reddish to black is the blood. Eventually they grow immunity to it.

So if this is the case, you can get them on the medicated starter and see if that doesn't clear it up. If not, you can turn to Corid, which is put in the water for a week and that will clear it up.

However if these funky looking poops are only occasional, then I wouldn't worry about it. As long as everybody looks healthy and are eating well, they should be fine.

Enjoy the forums!

Back
Top Bottom