A newbie's broody screw-up 😫

My TSC Welsummer went broody 4/17, a week and a half after her 1 year hatch-day, but I didn't realize it until the next day. Day one, I just assumed she was laying when I went to check for eggs in the mid-morning like I usually do. On Day 3 I noticed she had also pilfered 4 other eggs from my Amberlinks and Delaware hens, making a clutch of 5. Yes, we have a rooster (a White-Crested Polish), and my husband has been wanting to see what 'the kids' would look like, so we let her be. Stupid me didn't think to mark them in any way, assuming she would only set on a manageable number of prospective 'kids'.

Fast forward to this morning: I have been suspecting that my other 3 hens have been laying elsewhere, as the other nest boxes have been empty the last week or so (they free-range 80% of the daylight hours). When I checked in on my broody, I noticed 3 eggs (not hers) off to the side in her box, and assumed the other girls had laid overnight or super early this morning before being let out. Nnnnnnope! My broody has been stealing eggs this entire time!! She's up to 15 now. I have no idea or way to distinguish between the originals and the add-ins. I can only really be sure of 1, which is her own egg.

Five possible additions to the flock would be manageable for us. Fifteen, not so much. I feel like such an idiot.

If any seasoned small-flock keepers can weigh in, please, I look forward to your advice. But, I am not interested in hearing from anyone who raises massive flocks. These are backyard chickens, treated more like pets. I am only looking for advice on what to do that will be best and easiest for my broody & the flock in general.

So, here are my thoughts/questions:

1) Is it possible to create a separate nesting area, within the coop, but away from the established nest boxes, that she will willingly use until the original clutch hatches, and I can dispose of the rest of the eggs? And if I can do this, HOW should it be done (during daytime nest break, or after dark while she's sleepy)?

2) Is there a way, without causing damage to the developing eggs, to check them at this point to see which ones are viable, and remove the non/less developed ones? Keep in mind that I have no access to fancy equipment that most people who do incubation use. I only have access to LED flashlights.

3) Will removing eggs cause her to abandon the remaining eggs?

I know there's no excuse for my ignorance, not with the wealth of information here. I honestly just didn't think this kind of thing would happen. And, in my defense, I chose the breeds I have with the understanding that they aren't broody breeds.

🤦🏻‍♀️

You can candle all the eggs using a regular flashlight. You can do it at night, or just whenever it is dark enough. I'd keep the most developed and throw out the others.

You can try to move her but some hens don't take well to switching nests. If you need to keep her in the coop, take a pencil and draw a line around the shell. Check on the eggs daily and toss any that do not have the pencil line on them.

And as long as she still has eggs it will not break her broodiness.

Do you have a rooster?

This happens more often than you think. There are some pretty good pictures what to look for while candling. If she is a big bird, she might be able to cover them. If you are squeamish about accidentally disposing of a live chick (and that too has happened) You could do nothing and wait and see.

You have to be getting reasonably close to the hatch date (Sunday?) I really do not think all 15 will hatch. And you can always sell some chicks this time of year... but I would be real surprised if they all hatched.

And you might not get any to hatch, that happens too, especially with a large clutch. But if so, not all is lost, you can slip a few chicks under her in the dark of night, and that will work just fine.

Good luck, I think I would just wait and see.

When mine hatch, in about 24 hours, the hen will leave the nest, and create a new nest on the floor - I just make sure there is fresh bedding on the floor. In the past, I have tried to make a nice nest for her...only to have her walk right by it, and make her own, so now I just leave clean bedding. I don't separate them but I usually do let the layers out to free range - just to give all more space. But a good broody hen will manage the whole deal if you don't interfere too much.

Mrs K

I prefer to move the broody and her eggs to a big dog crate, or something, so she's not with the other hens at all, but still in view in the coop. Then she can have eggs that are all 'sat on' at the same time, making the hatch date the same, for a higher % of living chicks. After a few days, mom and chicks can join the flock, she will protect them. Once we had a broody hen who was bottom of the pecking order, so she and her chicks stayed in their crate for over a week, so the chicks could stick with mom better and not be picked on.
Good luck with your broody and eggs!
mary

If she's kept them covered and warm they should hatch soon.(Its already been 19 days)
The fertile eggs that aren't developed enough can be hatched in an incubator when she comes off the nest. You don't have to throw them away.

Moving her to seclusion at this point is risky, it may break her broodiness.
Candling eggs with a LED flashlight can work just fine, best to do when it's pitch dark in the coop. Remove the less developed and mark the 'good' ones. Remove any new eggs daily.
She's not likely 'stealing' eggs, others are laying in the nest.

I prefer to move the broody and her eggs to a big dog crate, or something, so she's not with the other hens at all, but still in view in the coop. Then she can have eggs that are all 'sat on' at the same time, making the hatch date the same, for a higher % of living chicks. After a few days, mom and chicks can join the flock, she will protect them. Once we had a broody hen who was bottom of the pecking order, so she and her chicks stayed in their crate for over a week, so the chicks could stick with mom better and not be picked on.
Good luck with your broody and eggs!
mary
The only thing I had on hand was an old US Mail tote or a 5 gallon bucket. We went with the more stable tote option, and moved her and her (19!! - I miscounted apparently 😬) last night at around 9:00 pm. Unfortunately it was pouring down rain during the move, so I didn't risk trying to candle as we went, as she was already beginning to stress. So far, so good this morning. The rest of the flock are keeping their distance from the new setup and she's tucked in there still.
If she's kept them covered and warm they should hatch soon.(Its already been 19 days)
The fertile eggs that aren't developed enough can be hatched in an incubator when she comes off the nest. You don't have to throw them away.
I do not have access to, nor funds for an incubator at this time, unfortunately. 🙁 As I stated, I had never intended to "grow my flock.

Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions. I guess now I just wait and watch for the weekend. 🤞🏻🫣

Back
Top Bottom