A pair of Polish

Hells

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
South Coast of England
I fell in love with a pair of white Polish chickens and bought them before researching and now I have the start of two flocks as my Plymouth Barred Rocks hate them! My questions are, they can't seem to find their way back into their hen house at night - we have to physically put them in, and they were laying when I got them. How long will it be until they start again? Help?

I fell in love with a pair of white Polish chickens and bought them before researching and now I have the start of two flocks as my Plymouth Barred Rocks hate them! My questions are, they can't seem to find their way back into their hen house at night - we have to physically put them in, and they were laying when I got them. How long will it be until they start again? Help?
Keep them in their house for a couple of weeks. That way they will know where home is. I got a golden polish as the free chick in my last order. Everyone picked on him terribly. I don't think he could see a thing around him. I can't get that breed, my girls are ruthless.

Keep them in their house for a couple of weeks. That way they will know where home is. I got a golden polish as the free chick in my last order. Everyone picked on him terribly. I don't think he could see a thing around him. I can't get that breed, my girls are ruthless.

Sad but true in mixed flocks, Polish are frequently picked on. Welcome to BYC.

welcome-byc.gif
Maybe they aren't seeing well enough to get back to the coop, like silkies, they have big crests and it obscures their vision badly. Also makes them sitting ducks for predation.

Some people carefully cut back crests/ beards so the birds can actually see what is going on. Their IQ takes a big leap at the same time. PS crests are especially inviting to mites and a nipple waterer(if they can learn to use them) will keep their crests from being a soggy mess when they bend down to drink.

Back
Top Bottom