1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A pair of Polish

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hells, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Hells

Hells New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    South Coast of England
    I fell in love with a pair of white Polish chickens and bought them before researching and now I have the start of two flocks as my Plymouth Barred Rocks hate them! My questions are, they can't seem to find their way back into their hen house at night - we have to physically put them in, and they were laying when I got them. How long will it be until they start again? Help?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Keep them in their house for a couple of weeks. That way they will know where home is. I got a golden polish as the free chick in my last order. Everyone picked on him terribly. I don't think he could see a thing around him. I can't get that breed, my girls are ruthless.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    welcome to the site!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on Top Knot's advice. Good luck to you.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sad but true in mixed flocks, Polish are frequently picked on. Welcome to BYC.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Maybe they aren't seeing well enough to get back to the coop, like silkies, they have big crests and it obscures their vision badly. Also makes them sitting ducks for predation.

Some people carefully cut back crests/ beards so the birds can actually see what is going on. Their IQ takes a big leap at the same time. PS crests are especially inviting to mites and a nipple waterer(if they can learn to use them) will keep their crests from being a soggy mess when they bend down to drink.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by