A part of management we never thought we'd have to face.

mkcolls

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Ohio
My DH had a stroke 3 weeks ago. While he is improving, slowly gaining the use of his right side, he cannot manage the care of the flock that is needed due to my physical limitations.

Over the past weeks we have discussed how we could keep our birds and manage over the winter when I am unable to even get into the barn.

We came to the difficult decision that we cannot keep the birds and put out the word that they needed a new home. We found some great homes for them. The chickens left tonight, with our dear EE roo talking to us all the way out of the driveway and down the road. I miss them so much.

The turkeys are leaving tomorrow, and the guineas are going in a few weeks.

Most of our birds are named based on their personality, or physical characteristics and are great company and entertainment. We will miss having them greet us in the morning, when we get back to the house after running errands, and in the evening as they settle in for the night. They helped with the yard work, reduced the number of flowers we had to water, tasted anything in the garden that they could reach, and ate so many bugs that we haven't had to use chemicals on the property for years. I don't have to tell you about the eggs, wonderful colors, delicious meals, & just the fun of finding the new place they decided to lay them.

I know that I will still be checking in, seeing what is the latest greatest, or just enjoying the wise musing of the old timers.

Thank you BYC folks for all of the advise you have given, for the wisdom that you have passed on, and for knowing how sad we are. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Karan
hit.gif

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. Hang in there. I know it's hard to have to give up animals that you've cared for and nurtured. Hoping all turns out well for you and your DH.

My heart goes out to you and your DH. What a tough decision, but what a nice decision to find them homes. Your focus will be the rehab after the stroke, that alone is a lot of work. Your family are in my prayers.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom