a perch question . . .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fargosmom, Feb 28, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I just saw someone's picture (don't remember where) of a roost that is suspended from the roof of the henhouse, by chains, as opposed to being rigidly mounted to either the walls or the floor. This would mean, I think, that the roost would sway at least a little each time a hen would move around . . . would this be something they would like, or dislike?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hens like something solid, but if they are up in trees, the limbs blow with the wind?

3. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I dunno - the branches that would be thick enough for their chickeny feet would have to be pretty thick - the whole tree might sway but I think the branch would be pretty solid. It does seem to me that they'd prefer a solid base, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I wouldnt have a suspended roost, but I have had chickens roost on a swing set swing, but that was solo, I would worry that the last one jumping on a moving roost, would rock it enough to knock the other off.

5. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks! We're finishing our coop this weekend and now I know I'll stick with my original plan for the roost - sort of a modified sawhorse design.
    Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by