a perch question . . .

fargosmom

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Pasadena, CA
I just saw someone's picture (don't remember where) of a roost that is suspended from the roof of the henhouse, by chains, as opposed to being rigidly mounted to either the walls or the floor. This would mean, I think, that the roost would sway at least a little each time a hen would move around . . . would this be something they would like, or dislike?

I dunno - the branches that would be thick enough for their chickeny feet would have to be pretty thick - the whole tree might sway but I think the branch would be pretty solid. It does seem to me that they'd prefer a solid base, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

I wouldnt have a suspended roost, but I have had chickens roost on a swing set swing, but that was solo, I would worry that the last one jumping on a moving roost, would rock it enough to knock the other off.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks! We're finishing our coop this weekend and now I know I'll stick with my original plan for the roost - sort of a modified sawhorse design.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom