A quacking drake??

MontanaChickDoc

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 2, 2016
central Virginia
My little call duck successfully hatched a full size duckling from one of my other full sized duck hens. The dad is a pekin drake and the mom is a black and white barnyard mix I hatched as an egg from a friend, maybe swiss/ pekin/ runner but who knows, even my friend didn't know. As this duckling grew I was thrilled to hear her start to quack and bow to my drake. A real quack, like my other ladies, loud and quacky, not soft and raspy, like WAAA wa wa wa wa wa wa. Now "she" is 5 months old or so, and I saw "her" grab one of the khaki campbells by the neck and breed her in their pool, like a boy, with a tail dip and everything. S(he) has no tail curl, but is a rather large and meaty duck. I watched "her" in horror and as s(he) jumped out of the water, quacked a few more times, and bowed to the pekin drake. Are there breeds of ducks in which the males quack? Is she a hermaphrodite? Confused? Now I'm cranky because I thought I had 4 females...I don't need another drake around...I'll get better photos tonight, this was just one I took when I was selling of my extra KCs. S(he) is the large black and white duck in the bottle right of the photo, not the KC in the center who is obviously a drake)

Attachments

• 20190706_113813(0) (1).jpg
    20190706_113813(0) (1).jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 50
My little call duck successfully hatched a full size duckling from one of my other full sized duck hens. The dad is a pekin drake and the mom is a black and white barnyard mix I hatched as an egg from a friend, maybe swiss/ pekin/ runner but who knows, even my friend didn't know. As this duckling grew I was thrilled to hear her start to quack and bow to my drake. A real quack, like my other ladies, loud and quacky, not soft and raspy, like WAAA wa wa wa wa wa wa. Now "she" is 5 months old or so, and I saw "her" grab one of the khaki campbells by the neck and breed her in their pool, like a boy, with a tail dip and everything. S(he) has no tail curl, but is a rather large and meaty duck. I watched "her" in horror and as s(he) jumped out of the water, quacked a few more times, and bowed to the pekin drake. Are there breeds of ducks in which the males quack? Is she a hermaphrodite? Confused? Now I'm cranky because I thought I had 4 females...I don't need another drake around...I'll get better photos tonight, this was just one I took when I was selling of my extra KCs. S(he) is the large black and white duck in the bottle right of the photo, not the KC in the center who is obviously a drake)
Beautiful duck.
I ducks can sex change, females will get a curly tail feather and get a shiny head. So he may be doing that it happens when they may be stressed.

Back
Top Bottom