1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A question about an 10 week old Austrlian Shepherd

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalgirl12, Dec 11, 2012.

1. animalgirl12

animalgirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I found a 10 week old Austrlian Shepherd and this is want I want to know about them.

can I train them to not heard the chickens or goats ?
    are they easy to train?
    will they protect us and are animals ?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    As someone who has not had an Australian Shepherd, but has had other herding breeds, I would say that it would be very frustrating for both you and the dog to try to train it not to herd. This is a very intelligent dog, with a very strong herding drive. I would say if you had this dog, with no farm animals, you could keep it busy doing other things, but I'm going to guess that it will, at least, want to herd your goats.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I agree - they are bright, very active, have strong herding instincts, and can be a handful training-wise for those not prepared for the challenge of the above. If you are looking for a non-herding dog, they are likely not for you.

4. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    If started as a puppy, raised around chicken and goats yes, you can have them live together peacefully, but being that they are a herding breed, they will still have herding desire.

All of mine are the smartest breed I have owned so far. Super quick to learn.

Mine are super protective to the point that two of them I have to put up when other people come over. A far as protecting animals, they are a herding breed not a guardian breed. Do some research on them, and call some breeders to learn more about them. They aren't the breed for everyone. Energy levels tend to be really high in most cases.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by