A question about changing plumage.

wolfie115

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
So we've had this duck for about 10 years she's one of the oldest ducks on the farm the other being her drake. We know for a fact that she is a hen, she's laid eggs, sat on eggs and hatched eggs even in the time that we've had her. But something weird is going on with her. A couple of days ago I noticed she looked a little different. Her head is starting to turn GREEN, she's getting curled tail feathers and her sides are turning gray. Its like she's changing into the plumage of a drake. Its really strange. I went out to go water and just happen to notice her. We only have two pairs of Rouens. Both the drakes are in their plumage and the other hen looks normal as ever. She still quacks like a hen and hangs around her drake like normal just her plumage is changing and its just weird.

Any ideas as to what is going on with her? Could it be her age? I have no idea. DX

This isn't common, but it's certainly not unheard of. This is caused when the hens currently functioning ovary gets destroy somehow, and her body begins using the other ovary, which until now has been dormant. This ovary seems to have hormonal issues, I'm not really read up on it, but it changes the hen, to a drake (almost) She'll stop laying, but she'll aslo be unable to mate on the male part. She's basically useless, but I'd keep her, and just enjoy the novelty of having her.
smile.png

Quote:
It does sound hormonal, at age 10 I'd think it's probably pretty normal for something like that to happen, and congrats on having them that long, I have a drake going on 9. Sounds like they are well taken care of and they are deff. in old age so i'd just enjoy her and the changes that are going on and hopefully her health won't be affected by it. AND
welcome-byc.gif
Keep us posted and maybe some pics, we all love pics..

Thank you for the response. I found an article on the feathersite that explained quite a bit last night. Quackers is one of our very first ducks so we don't see her going anywhere any time soon. But I'll definitely try to get some pictures of her up soon. The only noticable thing with her right now is her tail feathers and her head has a teeny bit of green on it. But I guess we'll see how long it stays like that. X3

Back
Top Bottom