a question about golden comets

bluefeather2697

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
what are their parents? they are sex-linked so the roo must be red and the hen must be white, but what breed?
smile.png

That's a good question, but I'm not sure there is a good answer. Where did you get them?

There is no sex link police running around slapping fines or prison terms on people or hatcheries if they use certain names for chicken crosses. And there is no standard. Different hatcheries can provide different chickens, yet call them the same name. The different ones with Star in their name are a prime example. A Red Star could be about any cross.

To further complicate it, some hatcheries provide commercial strains of egg laying chickens as their sex links. Others will cross two different breeds to make the sex links. I think Golden Comets fall into this category. Some hatcheries provide a commercial mix as a Golden Comet. Others cross their own. One cross I've seen called Golden Comet is New Hampshire rooster over a White Rock hen, but there is nothing stopping another hatchery or private breeder from using a different rooster over a different hen and calling that a Golden Comet.

Bottom line, I don't know. It could be different things.

Golden Comets (or Red Sex Link) can be a cross of Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White birds or Rhode Island rooster and a White Plymouth Rock hen and there may be other combinations. The adult hens are cinnamon/reddish/buff with lighter markings and the roos are white with some red markings. They are pretty birds and excellent egg layers.

Here is a photo of my Golden Comet roo.

Back
Top Bottom