A Question About Incubation!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by princewahaj, Feb 5, 2015.

1. princewahaj

princewahaj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Hello Gentlemen!

I met a lot of helpful people there. They helped me a lot and are still want to help me. Thanks for that my friends. I am happy to meet with all of you and happy to know that there are good people. I hope that I could return the same some day to you guys.

Anyways, I am planning to follow this simple guide to make a incubator at home: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Simple-Homemade-Incubator-for-Chicks

However, I am confused that, we have electricity load shedding problem in our country. Its about 6 hours. For example, after every 6 hours, the power will be off so I might face the problem of maintaining the same temperature all the time..

My question is, is it really must to maintain the same temperature for all 24 hours? I can make it sure that it will not drop a lot because I'll not open the box at those times so that hotness could be maintained in the box.

We have fix schedule of load shedding. Lets assume that I have 24 hours clock. Day started on 00:01, the first load shedding session is on 8:00 and will return at 10:00 then it will go again at 13:00 and will return at 15:00 and then it goes at 18:00 and comes again at 20:00 . These are the three times. Sometimes we face 4.5 hours total (less) and sometimes full 6 hours.

Can it cause problems?

Ideas will be appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It might cause problems, but I would still give it a try. A well insulated incubator might not drop that much in temperature in a two hour period. There might very well be a slightly extended incubation period, but again I would give it a try. Good luck.

3. princewahaj

Aug 17, 2012
    Thanks Sourland!

You were right about the two cockerels and one girl in the past. I thought to mention it...lol....When the started to crow, I got the point then..hehe

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I can only hope that I am right about the incubation. [​IMG]

5. princewahaj

Aug 17, 2012
    No problem mate. Thanks anyways.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do you have access to a power converter? A car battery? If so, incubators do not draw a lot of power. If you can be around during those power outages, and if you had the converter and battery handy, you could keep your incubator powered very easily.

7. princewahaj

Aug 17, 2012
    Nice advise. Thanks.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Something else I’d consider is to add a thermal mass. You could use rocks, a container of dirt, or a real popular one is a closed container of water. Something made of metal will work. That will absorb heat when the power is on and slowly release heat when the power is off.

The more you can fill the space with something that will absorb the heat then slowly release it the more stable your incubator will be. But be careful about blocking air flow, especially if it is a forced air incubator. You still need air exchange, especially late in incubation because they are living things and are breathing through the porous egg shell.

Good luck!

2 people like this.
  9. princewahaj

Aug 17, 2012
    Finally, few nice ideas in this thread. I really appreciate you guys.

Good news is that, I found an incubator which will work even when their is no power (electric). It uses some types of chemicals and are proven in our city, so I think it will be best to buy that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by