A question about posting recipes

feathered fannies farm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
wild and wonderful w virginia
I was looking thru some old issues that I have of Workbasket. It is a magazine that was put out from the 1950's to the 70's or early 80's if you aren't familiar with it. Has craft patterns,gardening questions, and lots of great recipes. I came across one issue that had several recipes using lots of eggs. What I was wondering is, would I be breaking copyright if I posted them here on the BYC?
Thanks,
Tammy

Food can not be copyrighted...the instructions on how to put the recipe together can be copyrighted. So if you change the wording of the recipe, putting it in your own words, then it becomes your recipe and no copyright is being broken.

Our pastor was trying to encourage everyone to turn in recipes for a church cookbook recently. He said if you don't have a recipe of your own, but have a favorite that you use all the time, change one ingredient, write it up in your own words, change the name, and you're good to go. His example was taking a meatloaf recipe that called for 1/2 cup onion, changing it to 2 cups of onion and calling it Onion Lover's Meatloaf. LOL The funny part is, he hates onion!

I am anxious to see the recipes. I grew up in the 50's and 60's so their may be something I remember.

There is one recipe that my mom used to make when I was a kid with chicken....

She cooked two chickens in the pressure cooker. We would eat one with dumplings that day and the other chicken would go in the frig. The next day she had this batter recipe that she would dunk the cold chicken pieces in and drop them in hot oil to quick fry. The crust would get very crispy and the chicken would get all hot and juicy but not really cook any more. It was the best fried chicken in the world. I tried for years to find the recipe with no luck and by the time I was married and settled down my mom couldn't remember it. She has passed now but I keep hoping that someday I will run across it.

Back
Top Bottom