A question for gardeners

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Sword, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Hi. I have two huge maples behind my house, and between shade from the house and shade from the trees the area never gets sun. Its eternally a big ugly unproductive mud pit. I want to trim back some of the maples branches so the area can get sun in the mornings, and planting some kind of shallow rooted vegetable there. My plan is to make raised beds with wire on the bottom to keep out the tree roots. Anybody think this will work?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't know. The maples in my yard are so densely leaved during the summer months that very little light gets through them. Even after being trimmed, nothing grows under them. I figure my yard is a lost cause because I can't even grow weeds there.

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hostas, Azaleas,Rhodedendron[spell check],Lily of the Valley,Japonica, Ostrich Ferns they all grow great in dense shade

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What kind of vegetable do you get from all these lovely plants? [​IMG]

5. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Rhodedendrons taste good with butter and salt! [​IMG] Kidding lol

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Most lettuces and greens would do well in that spot.

7. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:The wire mesh will not keep the roots out of your raised beds. Maple trees are notorious for their invasive root system.
    Might trim the limbs back and use 1/2 whiskey barrels or large pots to grow your veggies....something with a solid bottom to keep our the roots.

8. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Mother Earth News might have an article about shade plants for the garden . . .I saw it somewhere in a magazine just recently. Google and see if its on their website page.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:x2

The lack of sun retards fruit/flowering, so those grown only for the leaves will be ok in shaded areas. They will be 'stretched' a bit and not as vigorous as in full sun, but you'll get a crop from them all the same.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  10. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Cut down the trees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by