A question on making fodder.

Burger Bob

In the Brooder
May 18, 2016
18080 Hwy. 40 Loranger, LA 70446
Is it possible to make fodder out of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds? Will it make a mat? Or will it just be sprouts? And can you safely feed it to your flock if it does only become sprouts?

It is very hard to find any kind of barley or wheat for that matter where I am located in Loranger, LA 70446.
Can anyone help me out please?

Thanks,
Burger Bob

Yes you can. I did it and it makes a nice mat but it molded so I tossed my first one I did as a test and then I bought another bag and it did not even sprout because the seeds where all bad. So I never tried it again but you could probably make it work. Good luck

Yes you can. I did it and it makes a nice mat but it molded so I tossed my first one I did as a test and then I bought another bag and it did not even sprout because the seeds where all bad. So I never tried it again but you could probably make it work. Good luck

Since my post I worked on several different types of fodder setups. I finally pinned it down to one and those Black Oil Sunflower Seeds worked great!! They sprout and form a really good matte after about 8 days in rotation.

Since my post I worked on several different types of fodder setups. I finally pinned it down to one and those Black Oil Sunflower Seeds worked great!! They sprout and form a really good matte after about 8 days in rotation.
Could you give the details? Sounds like something fun to try-

For some reason it won't let me attach a couple of pics I have for my system I set up. I know I could email them to you with a good explanation of what I do to create the fodder. And by the way, BOSS seeds are very high in protein and my birds go absolutely nuts for it. If you would like to give me your email so I can attach the pics, it would make the explanation a lot easier for you to follow.

Burger Bob

Back
Top Bottom