A question regarding poop, diet, and hydration

GallusGal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Alabama
I recently purchased two bantam chicks and so far, they seem to be doing great. They eat like crazy, are very active, and are already growing little wing feathers. However, I notcied that the larger of the two chicks occasionally get poop stuck below his butt. I was reading that this can be caused by dehydration, and while I don't *think* it's the case since his poops seem a good consistency, I want to make sure he is well hydrated.

Because the chick starter is so dry, would it be a good idea to offer a small ammount of wetter treat foods - some leafy greens, boiled egg, veggies, etc? My adult chickens get plenty of fresh food daily and while I know chick nutrition has to be very careful, I can't help but wonder if it's actually all that good to them to be eating nothing but dry pellets when their little systems are so prone to dehydration as it is.

Your input is appreciated. I haven't raised chicks since I was a kid, and I'm sure I didn't do it right back then. I want these babies to be very healthy so I'm doing everything as "by the book" as possible.

Good question. I just got three black copper Marans. One of my hens got poop stuck there. I had to rinse her behind with warm H20 because it was stuck on the vent. They seem healthy and they drink and eat a lot! I guess we can wait to hear how someone answers this question on diet.

If they have a water source and you see them eating and drinking, they are probably not dehydrated. Pasty butt can happen simply by some poop getting stuck in the fuzz, perhaps while sleeping under the warm lamp, and drying there. Then following poops don't have a clear exit and also cling to the already dried poop, causing a buildup. Its pretty common in chicks.

If you want to give them a treat, I suggest scrambled eggs, which they love and are good for them, or lettuce. At least for the first few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom