1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A quick question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tderezza, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Tderezza

Tderezza Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    My mallards are still kind of young and I'm trying to figure out if I have the sexs right based on what little I know. 2 are proudly quacking and the other one doesn't really do anything. The same 2 quacking have orange to a darker color bill, with the other 1 yellow. Are the 2 quacking hens and the one doing nothing a drake. Can all mallards quack at first then the drakes just kind of form a whistle? There young enough I cant see any green feathers forming. I'm hoping I end up with 2 hens and a drake, but if not I can always buy a couple more. What do you all think?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From what you write it sounds very likely you have one drake. How old are they? My girls started honking at about three weeks.

3. Tderezza

Jun 28, 2011
    These seem like they took so much longer to grow than my pekins but, I would like to think I got them in the first week of May.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Then they're close to two months old. I would feel pretty confident, then, that you've got two girls and a boy. Nice!

5. Tderezza

Jun 28, 2011
    Ok thanks [​IMG]

6. Rentrop

Rentrop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Santa Fe, Texas
    I'm pretty sure you guessed right. I just raised two mallard ducklings. They started quacking and had bills similar to yours, and they're hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by