A real scare

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I leave my chickens out all day around here. Around lunch time I checked on all of um and went in to make a sandwich. I finished and went back out and the birds were sorta 'out of place'. They weren't together like they always are and was spooked like crazy. Bob, my rooster was nowhere to be found. Three of the chickens wouldn't shutup. Just kept cackling as if they had layed an egg. They were even afraid of me. They always come running for treats but they ran away instead. I looked all over for Bob but no luck. I finally got 4 of them to take meal worms but any quick movement and they were gone.

After about 20 minutes of looking and not finding Bob I just figured he was taken by something. Just when I gave up, he comes up out of the woods from an area they don't go. I've never been so glad to see a chicken in my life. For the life of me I can't figure out what in tarnation he was doing away for his girls. They were back to normal as soon as he showed up. I did learn one thing. They love the rooster. You should have seen the way they acted. Crazy. I wonder if he could have chased something off. Morgan the dog didn't do anything. He's always on top of anything coming onto the place.

That wasn't a good feeling for me at all.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm with Imp. I think that something probably made an attempt at your chickens. Be on guard as it will probably be back.
hide.gif

I had that happen a week ago-you know when your girls are crying out in fear-so I went and looked and seen nothing-they calmed down where they were hiding under some bushes and I went back in. A few minutes I listened out the door again and they were squawking away again---when I went to look this time the hawk swooped out of the tree right in front of me. I didn't think to look up when I went out the first time--maybe the dog didn't either. The hawk hung around for a couple of days but didn't get lunch!!!
smile.png
he was persistant though.

Now that you say that, yestesday while I was working with my blueberry bushes I did see 3 crows raising cane chasing a small hawk. I thought he was gone. Could he have circled back and took a shot at my chickens. I always look up in the trees. I hear hawk all the time. I best watch a little closer.

Back
Top Bottom