A Really Dumb Question another one added

chick_newbie

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
South Dakota
Do the pullets always lay the right colored egg when they start laying? I have been getting a white egg for about a week now and then I got a brown one today. These could be from 2 different chickens sure but they are about the same size and from the same nest. Do chickens rotate nests also? They are sitting in at least 4 of the 8 nests but have only gotten eggs out of the 3 nests.

This is my first time doing chickens that will lay eggs so I am not sure what is going on now.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have more than one chicken laying. Although a brown egg layers eggs can vary in the shade of brown, they are a shade of brown; not white.
While my top hen has a favorite nest, she will choose another if she finds it not to her liking for some reason.

Chickens always lay the same colored egg. As gritsar said, it may be a slightly different shade or mottled or have specks but it will be the same color. You have two different hens laying.

Hens are funny when it comes to nest boxes. Some seem to always chose the same nest box and some seem to rotate continually. And, occasionally you'll get a hen that just doesn't like the nest boxes and lays on the floor or somewhere else.

That is kind of what I was thinking too. So yea for me, I now have 2 chickens laying eggs!!! 4 more to go and then they will all be laying.

OK here is another dumb questions! What are the chances that the hatchery and /or the local feed store messed up on the breeds of te chickens? I know that 1 was messed up because we were to have bought 2 barred rocks but ended up with 1 barred rock and a SLW. Not that it mattered too much as I really didn't know much about chickens at the time and both seem to be good layers. Now the last 4 are all white and I thought that they were to be 3 white rocks and a california white. How do you tell the difference between the 2 kinds of chickens? I thought that we only had 1 chicken to lay a white egg so we thought that it was Carly, but now I am wondering. I could take pics if that would help.

Back
Top Bottom