A reason for more chickens; Eggs from small flocks linked with increased risk for salmonella

Have you experienced salmonella from eggs from your flock?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Poultry Times

Hatching
Feb 21, 2017
A study back in 2016 concluded that the smaller the flock, the higher the probability of salmonella in the eggs from the hens. The researchers took random samples from both large and small flocks from farmer's markets all around Pennsylvania.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK, I have a small flock, usually around 15 laying sometimes as few as 6 and between 15 and 40 total birds depending on the time of yr. Never tested the eggs for salmonella, but I've ate them raw and never got sick so I'm pretty sure they're OK
:D

Last edited:
I'd like to know who paid for that study. Smells pretty fishy to me.
And without posting the study, it would be pretty difficult to assess the validity of it.
Yes, please link study @Poultry Times

Funny.... new member, 2 posts, both edited by staff.......me suspects subscription soliciting.

The study is on poultry time's website, but I'll sum it up here. It was done by a professor at Penn State University. The flocks were all under 3000 birds and the researchers concluded that it was because coops under 3000 are not regulated by the government and may not follow certain cleaning protocol required by large corporations. A few requirements of the government are the following: intensive rodent control, cleaning and disinfecting between flocks, environmental monitoring of pullet and layer houses, continuous testing of eggs from any Salmonella-positive houses, and diverting eggs from Salmonella-positive houses for pasteurization.

Yes, that was my original intention. I was not aware of the rules though I did try to find out before joining. I did post the link but it was removed. However, I will continue to post summaries of articles on here that are relevant to free-range chickens to inform people. Plus, it is interesting to see a new perspective on these stories as most of the feedback I usually receive is from large corporations.

Yeah cooking them always kills it. But you've got to be careful because chickens can get salmonella too. Weird, huh?

The study is on poultry time's website, but I'll sum it up here. It was done by a professor at Penn State University. The flocks were all under 3000 birds and the researchers concluded that it was because coops under 3000 are not regulated by the government and may not follow certain cleaning protocol required by large corporations. A few requirements of the government are the following: intensive rodent control, cleaning and disinfecting between flocks, environmental monitoring of pullet and layer houses, continuous testing of eggs from any Salmonella-positive houses, and diverting eggs from Salmonella-positive houses for pasteurization.
Your data and test information is not pertinent to the back yard flock keeper. (IMO)

Back
Top Bottom