A rough winter

MLG1900

Songster
Dec 27, 2017
Hello all, I just wanted to say that I am very thankful for this website. I have had 3 sick chickens this winter. I am hoping with the warming weather that things will improve. My first sick chicken was getting better and then a hawk killed her. My second chicken I noticed wasn't acting right and figured she had an impacted crop. This website gave me great advice to get the impaction passed and she is doing well. I am just trying to get her to gain some weight now. And now I noticed a chicken walking slowly and barely eating / drinking and she had green / white poop stuck all to her feathers. I think she might be egg bound. I brought her in last night gave warm water soaks. She doesn't eat enough to even fill her crop. I did a vent check but couldn't feel anything other than what felt like "insides" But I think her backside feels hard. Had to syringe her some crushed tums mixed with water because she is not eating or drinking much. I sure hope she pulls through.

chicken walking slowly and barely eating / drinking and she had green / white poop stuck all to her feathers. I think she might be egg bound. I brought her in last night gave warm water soaks. She doesn't eat enough to even fill her crop. I did a vent check but couldn't feel anything other than what felt like "insides" But I think her backside feels hard.

I'm glad that you were able to find some help for your other 2 chickens, but am sorry your hen is not feeling well.

You mention that her backside feels hard - is this her abdomen between the legs? Is it tight feeling like it's full or swollen?
When did she last lay an egg?

Walking slowly, going off food/water and having a backside that feels hard - this description sounds like a reproductive/internal laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Unfortunately, there is no real treatment for this except to give supportive care - try to get her hydrated, then offer something to eat. Wet feed, some egg, whatever she will take. The soaking won't hurt her as long as she is not lethargic and she is dried and warmed afterward.

If you have vet care, that is best - sometimes and xray will shed some light on what's going on with the hard backside. A fecal float would be good too. If you happen to lose her, having a necropsy performed will also give you some answers.

Your hen that had the impacted crop - you mention you are trying to get her to gain weight - did she lose quite a bit due to her crop problems? They can lose, but usually it's slow, so weight gain can be slow as well - you can give her little extra protein like egg, tuna, meat. See that her main source of food is her nutritionally balanced feed - treats like scratch may make them gain some, but it's usually fat which causes further problems such as making it hard to lay eggs and the fat accumulates on internal organs. A little fresh greens, veggies or fruit are a healthier choice.

Let us know how your hens are doing.

I'm glad that you were able to find some help for your other 2 chickens, but am sorry your hen is not feeling well.

You mention that her backside feels hard - is this her abdomen between the legs? Is it tight feeling like it's full or swollen?
When did she last lay an egg?

Walking slowly, going off food/water and having a backside that feels hard - this description sounds like a reproductive/internal laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Unfortunately, there is no real treatment for this except to give supportive care - try to get her hydrated, then offer something to eat. Wet feed, some egg, whatever she will take. The soaking won't hurt her as long as she is not lethargic and she is dried and warmed afterward.

If you have vet care, that is best - sometimes and xray will shed some light on what's going on with the hard backside. A fecal float would be good too. If you happen to lose her, having a necropsy performed will also give you some answers.

Your hen that had the impacted crop - you mention you are trying to get her to gain weight - did she lose quite a bit due to her crop problems? They can lose, but usually it's slow, so weight gain can be slow as well - you can give her little extra protein like egg, tuna, meat. See that her main source of food is her nutritionally balanced feed - treats like scratch may make them gain some, but it's usually fat which causes further problems such as making it hard to lay eggs and the fat accumulates on internal organs. A little fresh greens, veggies or fruit are a healthier choice.

Let us know how your hens are doing.

Thanks! The crop chicken is my RIR. She seemed to have lost a lot of weight because she was also growing a lot of new feathers at this same time. She was about 3 pounds when I brought her inside for a few days. After a week she gained about a pound back already.

The eggbound? chicken is a Buff Orpington 2 years old. She is one of my smaller buffs but I am pretty sure she was one ( I have 5) I have seen in the nest box but no eggs from her. Her vent on inspection is actually quite small looking. (barely could insert my finger) Her area right below the vent. (do you call that the abdomen?) is what feels firm / hard. Whereas, on a few of my other hens that area is nice and soft, almost squishy. I have read a lot about the internal laying and the peritonitis on here also. I am just hoping there is a chance she just needs to lay an egg rather than it be worse than that. But I know there is a chance she won't recover.

If your BO's vent is small and tight, then she is not in lay. If you examine one of your girls that is laying regularly, you will see a difference. A vent of a hen that is in lay will be moist and more "open" for lack of better term. The abdomen on a hen in lay is also usually fairly soft/squishy as you describe.

I'm very sorry that she is not doing well. Do what you can for her to make her comfortable. If you have some Poultry Nutri-Drench, add that to her water or direct dose her at 1cc per 3lb of weight. Getting her hydrated is most important.

20180331_071150.jpg
Ok, this morning, she passed pieces of lash egg mixed in with her stool. I am wondering if this is a death sentence or if I can try amoxicillin? She really isn't eating or drinking. I was able to get her to eat about 2 teaspoons of cat food last night and syringed her some water and nutridrench . Strangely, a couple months ago, I found what looked like a lash egg out in the middle of the yard. But of course, I had no idea where it came from. I am thinking it may have been her. @Wyorp Rock

View attachment 1318583 Ok, this morning, she passed pieces of lash egg mixed in with her stool. I am wondering if this is a death sentence or if I can try amoxicillin? She really isn't eating or drinking. I was able to get her to eat about 2 teaspoons of cat food last night and syringed her some water and nutridrench . Strangely, a couple months ago, I found what looked like a lash egg out in the middle of the yard. But of course, I had no idea where it came from. I am thinking it may have been her. @Wyorp Rock

Oh dear:hugs

Lash Egg or Salpingitis is an inflammation/infection of the oviduct. Sadly, it is eventually a death sentence. The exudes (lash) generally end up blocking the oviduct, which in turn starts to press on internal organs/intestines, inhibits crop function, etc. Sometime a lash can also be dropped into the abdomen.

You can try the antibiotics to see if she makes any improvement/makes her more comfortable, but results are short lived. If you can get her to bounce back, eating/drinking, then give it a go. If she declines further, stops completely eating or her crop is not emptying, then start to consider her quality of life or whether she is suffering or not. I know these are had decisions to make, so give yourself and her a little time.

I wish I had better answers for you, I'm very sorry.

Lash Egg or Salpingitis is an inflammation/infection of the oviduct. Sadly, it is eventually a death sentence. The exudes (lash) generally end up blocking the oviduct, which in turn starts to press on internal organs/intestines, inhibits crop function, etc. Sometime a lash can also be dropped into the abdomen.

You can try the antibiotics to see if she makes any improvement/makes her more comfortable, but results are short lived. If you can get her to bounce back, eating/drinking, then give it a go. If she declines further, stops completely eating or her crop is not emptying, then start to consider her quality of life or whether she is suffering or not. I know these are had decisions to make, so give yourself and her a little time.

@Wyorp Rock Thank you for being so kind and

@Wyorp Rock Thank you for being so kind and helpful. I definitely need a hug. I put her down this morning with my husband's help. She wasn't eating or drinking and I thought she died on two separate occasions this morning. So, I know it was time. But I still cried. After all was said and done. I did open her abdomen and found her reproductive track filled with lash contents. A hard solid lash egg at the beginning and the rest filled with what she had been passing the last two days. I am going to find that necropsy thread and add the photos there. Thank you again.

@Wyorp Rock Thank you for being so kind and

@Wyorp Rock Thank you for being so kind and helpful. I definitely need a hug. I put her down this morning with my husband's help. She wasn't eating or drinking and I thought she died on two separate occasions this morning. So, I know it was time. But I still cried. After all was said and done. I did open her abdomen and found her reproductive track filled with lash contents. A hard solid lash egg at the beginning and the rest filled with what she had been passing the last two days. I am going to find that necropsy thread and add the photos there. Thank you again.

I am so sorry:hugs

Putting them down is always such a hard thing to do.
Oh yes, tears and a hurt heart:hugs
Hopefully upon taking a look inside, it brought a bit of comfort that you made the right decision. It's so sad that these sweet girls endure these problems.

Here is the thread you will be looking for - I do appreciate it was hard, but photos are very helpful to others to learn from. Again, I'm very sorry.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ntains-graphic-necropsy-photos.823961/page-40

I am so sorry:hugs

Putting them down is always such a hard thing to do.
Oh yes, tears and a hurt heart:hugs
Hopefully upon taking a look inside, it brought a bit of comfort that you made the right decision. It's so sad that these sweet girls endure these problems.

Here is the thread you will be looking for - I do appreciate it was hard, but photos are very helpful to others to learn from. Again, I'm very sorry.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ntains-graphic-necropsy-photos.823961/page-40

That is exactly the thread I was talking about! Thank you so much. I remember seeing it a few months ago and couldn't remember the title. I was just trying to find it and was coming up short!

Back
Top Bottom