A Run For My Daughters?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bluey, Jul 11, 2008.

1. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    For some reason, I love to see my chickens free range our property but I'm leaning towards building a "run" for my 4 teen/pre-teen daughters, who are just flat out boy-crazy! [​IMG]

What type of hardware cloth should I use for thier natural predators? Besides my trusty gun, are there any other ideas on keeping my other gals safe?

Or is the whole idea just plain wrong? [​IMG]

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Ah, the joys of fatherhood with a teenage daughter. I remember it well. GOOD LUCK!

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    hmmm. I think your gun and well-placed hot wire might help. Of course, there is the option of some leg-traps, just in case.

I have a similar yet opposite problem. My teenage son loves to strut around, and has begun challenging the pecking order around here.
    Height differences make it a bit impossible to hold him upside down and dunk his head. I am considering letting him free-range awhile instead of free-load, to re-establish who gets the top roost.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Older brothers work wonders!! My poor daughter had two older brothers that the boys knew would kick their butts if anything happened to their sister!!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I like Mom2emAll's approach.

(Thank goodness to heaven that I don't have kids!!!)

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I am considering letting him free-range awhile instead of free-load, to re-establish who gets the top roost.

[​IMG]

Just don't send him around here, especially if he looks like one of those godforsaken jonas brothers!!!! [​IMG]

7. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I had to read this a couple times, to be sure you were talking about human daughters [​IMG]

My younger, but "bigger", brothers always kept the boys in line ...when my father wasn't there to threaten them with old empty wells on our property ..or a trip in his patrol car.

When I moved to the farm with my Nannie and Daddy (great-grands), Daddy would just sit on the front porch with a shotgun ..no kidding! [​IMG]

I think you'll have more results with trying to deter the boys ..rather than restraining the crazy girls [​IMG]

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

They seem to gravitate towards bathrooms at this age, just build each their own & you will not see them for days....

9. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG] about the bathroom!!

My daughter just turned 14. Thank the Lord we live pretty far from other people and she is not old enough for wheels yet! Not to mention boys are scared of her! For real! She tells them off, gives them those looks (the "are you really talking to ME" looks) and kicks their a** in sports. She has injured many a boy. What a good girl!!!

10. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    DH's cousin always had one question for his daughter's suitors: Are you prepared to die? (as in ready to meet your maker) Her dates ALWAYS brought her home on time! Her dad is also a very intimidating muscular guy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by