A runt or is there more to it?

I am adding one above mine soon, I think. I will put a poop board over my nesting boxes and a roost above that. My nesting boxes are inside the coop... for now...

From what I understand, as long as the roosts are higher than the nesting boxes, all is well. Just keep the poop out of them boxes!

You can...best if nests are covered..... and you want to clean the poop off nest tops.

Here is the new position of my nesting boxes. I have already removed the roosts from the fronts. I can put a slope to the top of them pretty easily.

65D8209C-B93C-4549-BA3D-2F4B2549ADE3.jpeg
41775FB5-17F0-412B-801D-5C5C5BAE674A.jpeg

Install my poop boards right above the nesting boxes? That will be a ceiling to the boxes of about 13-14" and a width of about 32" and a length of 60", is that enough for the hens to get to the boxes? I plan then to put roosting boards (across the width of the coop as are the ones at the other end) above the poop board.
Thoughts?

Install my poop boards right above the nesting boxes? That will be a ceiling to the boxes of about 13-14" and a width of about 32" and a length of 60", is that enough for the hens to get to the boxes? I plan then to put roosting boards (across the width of the coop as are the ones at the other end) above the poop board.
Thoughts?
Nests already have a 'ceiling'.
You could open top of nests and put poop board about 16-18" above floor.
Poop board can be 24" deep with a single roost centered and about 8" above the board.

Back
Top Bottom