A SAD hatch day at our home

Quote:
Don't blame you a bit!
smile.png
We own several acres & I never let mine just run loose. (would love to for their exercise). But I'd never wanna put my dog in a situation where they'd be a risk of getting hurt.... neighboring farmer being scared of the 'look' of my large dog if he wandered off our property & onto his.... & in the country Alot of dogs get dropped off, so it's hard not knowing if the dog is owned by someone who does have the dog vaccinated for rabies or just a unwanted stray. & ya have to get close enough to read an ID tag to check ownership -heck we ended up finding a skinny birddog on our doorstep lately (forget the specific breed we researched he was). But putting some good groceries in him brought him back to a healthy size. Irresponsible dog owners are the Worst!
roll.png

Last edited:
Well to add to this thread and to those who are postal workers. It is nice to know you care as does my home postal lady Mary who is also a nearby neighbor. However, I have seen the postal guy who is the truck pickup person put the boxes in the truck. He does not deal with the public and did not handle the boxes gently and this is not his only stop nor is it his hometown. In any line of work there are those who care deeply about thier jobs and then there are those who it is JUST a job to them. This is the case in any job if you just look around you can see it. Have you ever gotten a bad nurse in the hospital or a bad teacher in a school? I have.
The boxes arrived nicely the phesant eggs were packed very well and came from someone on this board. We also hatched out our own eggs at that them as fillers so to speak and they all hatched out fine, none deformed or missing things.
I also know that I sent over 30 eggs to someone in NY and the first batch arrived was great@20 eggs. The second one had the same packing as the first one which I was informed looked like someone put something very heavy on the top becasue the box was crushed as was the top layer of eggs. All eggs individually wrapped, the box before I put anything in it is double lined with bubble wrap. Then batting around the eggs plus more bubble wrap. I make sure they did not move around. You can not insure eggs so it is a lost when they arrive in bad shape.
My husband and I both decided it was just not for us to try and hatch out shipped eggs anymore. We'll just have to find them within driving distance which is a shame.
It is great that all the postal workers here do their best to serve their postal customers. I would say that our's personally does for the most part but our postmaster is a little picky(*if you think that is a jab look up Freud, it is just a personality statement).
And as far as the postal system using the most up to date stuff...well they do not live in my neck of the woods... they will even tell you they are behind the times by years ++ but so is the whole county. Our paved roads are not really paved but tar and pitch, which is gravel pressed with tar and more gravel press ontop of that. However, I could not ask for a more peaceful place to live where everyone knows everyone.

I have been reading everyone's replies, and I am just wondering.....

Obviously, there needs to be some way for people to file complaints regarding their packages. It seems the postal carriers catch a lot of heat when it isn't their fault, but there needs to be some way that people can file a complaint if a box is damaged. I know accidents happen, but it seems that it is so frequent, that there are people who need to take responsibility.

Even though eggs cannot be insured, the postal service has a responsibility to the people to ensure that their packages get delivered in a timely manner, but appearantely not an intact one. We have to pay for every parcel shipped whether a letter or box, and it seems to me that you expect doctors ,nurses, and paramedics to be up to date on their education and treatment, and be thorough and efficient while giving the best care possible because you are paying for it, then why can't the USPS follow similar guidelines. Is there someone where complaints or suggestions can be filed?

If any parcels had "fragile", or "hatching eggs" on them, maybe they could be placed in a different area, or shipped seperately, and let people know that their packages are subject to be opened and examined at any time. Honest people are not going to object to someone lookin into their egg boxes, because they will know that their boxes would arrive in a safe manner.

Just a thought..... I'm a paramedic, not a postal person.
big_smile.png

With the exception of the price (mine were free), I'm in the same boat. The first clutch of 12, 2 hatched and died. The second clutch (12), 3 hatched, but 2 died. The little one will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I happened to have chicken eggs in the bator, so it was only alone for a few days. Those chicks got too large, so it was a good thing that there was another clutch of chickens on their way. It's with the newest babies.

Knock on wood, but it does not seem to know that it's not a chicken. The first clutch was due to hatch when I met someone who raises show (fancy) pheasants and got the opportunity to ask the "what to expect when you're expecting" questions. I realized quickly that I was not at all prepared for pheasants!! Wild little birds that will escape through the tiniest of openings and cannot be mixed with other chicks. I had a baby setup for the pheasant chicks, but scrapped it when I again found myself with a horrid hatch. I couldn't bring myself to keep the pheasant by itself and was unable to track down any other day-olds. So far, it would seem that a pheasant that gets all it's behavioral cues from chickens is more chicken-like, ie: calm. We'll see.... I'm hoping it's a hen.

Quote:

Man, I swear, the more you have written on there, the more of an invitation it is for them to TRY to break it....at this point, I feel like I need to ask shippers to not write ANYTHING on the boxes, maybe they'll treat it just like any other package I get that looks like it rode in the cab on a pillow.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom