1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A shell-less egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rmbollom, Sep 8, 2011.

1. rmbollom

rmbollom New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Went out to collect the eggs today, and one of them was just the membrane and no shell. First time this has happened to me. Anyone able to provide some insight as to what is going on there?

2. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    Was it a first egg? I had one like that several weeks ago but it was the first egg of a young pullet. I have not had another one. Just as a precaution I bought some Oyster shells from Tractor Supply and made them available for the hens.

3. crazychics4me

crazychics4me Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Ours have just started laying. We have gotten about a dozen perfect beautiful eggs. We also have gotten one with a very thin shell and two shell-less eggs. We did add a little oyster shell just in case, but it seems to be the consensus that it is pretty normal when they first start laying. I just make sure to check for eggs at least twice a day because I don't want them to get a taste of one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by