A Silkie Egg within an Egg that tried to hatch!

antiquebuff

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Franklin, NC
My Silkie had been sitting on 13 eggs and 8 hatched yesterday. When she left the nest and I was clearing the eggs that did not hatch I noticed 3 that had tried to hatch and could not because there was an egg completely in tact within the egg. The first shell had broken off but the chick could not make it through the both shells, but had tried! I have heard of eggs like this before , but is it normal to have this many and what causes it to happen? She gets high quality laying food by Purina, oyster shells, snacks and lots of fresh water. She is a new layer and being a Silkie she went broody right away. She is a great little Mom so far and has darling babies! I will post photos later!

WOW!!! AND YOU DIDN'T GET ANY PICS?!?!?
smack.gif

I've heard of eggs within eggs, but I've never heard of them tryinging to hatch. I'm confused as to whether or not I should think that is NEAT, or AWEFUL (for the chicks of course...)
hu.gif

When she starts laying again, I would break the first few open to see if this is a regular thing, or just a one time situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0940.jpg

This is the one we had, but it was hard boiled... not going to hatch.
smile.png

I want to see her photos...

Back
Top Bottom