A silly question about my brooder

Ailsa

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 31, 2008
England, UK
I feel daft asking such questions but I guess you all have the info I need so its the best place to ask

In my brooder do I need to put a hide or something for them to sleep in, like a little shelter

Nope! Just have enough room for the chicks to be able to move away from the heat light if they get too hot. They usually just flop down and sleep when they get tired. You can put a little roost in a few inches off the ground, they love to practice roosting. You will know when it is time for the roost when they start trying to sleep on top of the feeders and waterers.

Your a star! thanks for your help.
they have been jumping on and off the feeder so ill give it a try

Please don't feel that way! The only way you will ever learn is if you ask! Chicks do not need any type of hide out to sleep in. They will just sleep where they feel like it, usually cuddled up in groups of two or three!
smile.png
When they are a few weeks old you could add a small tree branch for them to roost on. Mine always seem to like that.
smile.png

Thank you too Gumpsgirl
Im learning slowly but surely
mine do huddle together, the 3 of them bundled up is sweet

There's no stupid question here--trust me, we all have questions!
wink.png
You don't need any type of cover for them, but as the other said, make sure you only have your lamp in one area of the brooder, so if they get too hot, they can move away. I do put a little washcloth or piece of material under the area of the heatlamp, so they have something to snuggle on. Also, don't put down newspaper as they can slip and get spraddle leg. Also don't put down chips because they like to eat things off the floor and can mistake a piece of chip for food and inhale it. I had both happen, that's why I know better! And the good people here at BYC gave me good advice!
wink.png
Now I lay down a small towel or something like that for them to stand on and to gain traction. Just don't use anything you want to keep--they're quite messy!
smile.png
Oh, one more thing about the heat lamp--keep the food and water out from under the heat lamp as it will spoil the food and make the water too warm.
smile.png
Other than that, it sounds like your set!
smile.png
Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions---all of us had to learn somehere!
smile.png

God bless,
Tracey

Thank you M@M@2four
my heat lamp is at 1 end of the brooder so they have the heat graduating towards the other end of the brooder
I use kitchen roll on the floor of the brooder

another question if you dont mind....
at what age is best to start giving treats?
Mine are only 5 days old so I guess thats a little young to start

I also posted some pics in a topic I made a couple of days ago, I have no idea what breed they are

I usually don't try giving mine treats until about 4-6 weeks. I give them sliced up grapes, watermelon, yogurt, etc. They "go ga ga" for it! lol Medicated chick feed seems to work best for my guys.
smile.png
Again, learned that the hard way.

OK thanks again for your advice
I shall hold off on the treats
when I was cleaning them out yesterday they say the mealworms I have for my turtle and they went nuts!

my next thing is to find out what breed they are
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom