A simple tip to hang a galvanized double wall fountain waterer

will hunt for food

Songster
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
I have a plastic waterer in my coop. I purchased a galvanized double wall fountain (that's what they are called) waterer for the run. I really like to clear up floor space, so I wanted to hang it by a chain and not set it up on cement blocks. I realized it did not have a narrow spot in the handle to keep it centered on a chain link (unlike the plastic waterer). Without that "spot", it would shift to one side or the other and spill.

I took a chain link, (the kind that screws open and closed in this case) and got some JB Weld from the workbench. JB Weld is basically a 2 part epoxy with metal. I "welded" the link in place (perfect center of the handle). Now the fountain can be hung, and the attached chain stays centered. note: to keep the link in place while the epoxy is setting up, simply hang the fountain on the chain in the correct position.

Of course if you have a "real" welder, you can always spot weld a link in the center.

I can't understand why the handle on the fountain is made that way. The galvanized feeder (same brand) has an indentation in the handle to keep it centered.

Last edited:
Yep, you cannot break the seal, or the water will "flow" out. They are really nice, and I like the look of galvanized steel over plastic. Heavy duty too.

They also seem to keep the water colder longer for them. I have a plastic one inside the coop and the steel one outside and they all run to the steel one outside to drink. Silly chickens.

Will Hunt can you post a pic? I would love to see it. Maybe it would work for us also. Thanks!!!
wee.gif

I wonder if it's a weight issue. Maybe the pins that hold the top in place won't stay secure? Oh well, I'll JB Weld that too if it breaks
lol.png

I do not like the plastic models for long term outdoor use. I am going to stick with my alteration, and see what happens.

i have the hardest time finding a hanging waterer. for some reason my co-op only sells hanging feeders.... so anyways. that is a Great idea! thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom