A SSCHOOL BUS hit me!!!!

kla37

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Hillsborough, NC USA
My first car accident ever....Well, since I'm 38, I guess I've had a good run of luck. A school bus, of all things, t-boned me this morning. I was just driving along, and the bus was exiting the middle school parking lot and didn't stop or look and hit me full in the passenger side. The whole side is torn up. The rear view mirror for the passenger side was under my arm. Thank goodness my kids weren't in the car! They would have been showered with glass! There were no students on the bus either. I did go to the hospital in an ambulance, which was rather humiliating, but the cop told me I asked him if my chickens were outside when he talked to me. I don't remember that, but it was goofy enough that they brought me in. I was fine by the time I got there. Just sore, a bruise where my seat belt stopped me, a big one on my left hip, and a mild concussion. Anyway, the school buses in our county are self-insured, and I didn't know if anyone had any good advice for me? I'm not interested in suing anyone or making this a bigger deal than it is, but I want them to pay for my car and medical bills. Anyone a veteran of an accident with some words of wisdom for me?

Not a vetran. Just want to say Thank God you are ok. Ofcourse you thought of your chickens. How could you not? LOL. Glad your children were not in the vehicle either.
hugs.gif

I was almost hit by a school bus, because they couldn't make a right hand turn without taking up 2 lanes. I was going 55mph (the speed limit) and had to swerve off the side of the road to avoid them. I'm sure i wouldve been more than injured.
sad.png
Some school bus drivers don't seem to care. Sorry about your accident, I unfortunately have no words of wisdom for you.

Call the bus company's office and ask for either the loss-prevention officer or the safety manager. They will be the ones to file the claim, etc. Also report it to your insurance company as well.

Just call your insurance right away. Do NOT settle until you are 100% sure that you don't have any lasting injuries and that your car is put right or you have a vehicle that is just as good in every way as the one that was totaled. Believe me, learned my lesson on that one!

Edited for manners: I am sorry this happened to you and glad that your kids were not in the car as well...

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I did call my insurance company as soon as I got home. There isn't much they'll do since it was the other person's fault. I see school buses speeding, not stopping all the way, and being reckless a lot. It really bothers me. I know they are in a hurry, but I'd rather the kids sit on the bus a few more minutes then take chances. And there weren't even any kids on the bus at the time of the accident, so there was no reason for her to be in such a hurry.

Yay Chicks! :

Just call your insurance right away. Do NOT settle until you are 100% sure that you don't have any lasting injuries and that your car is put right or you have a vehicle that is just as good in every way as the one that was totaled. Believe me, learned my lesson on that one!

Edited for manners: I am sorry this happened to you and glad that your kids were not in the car as well...

Thanks for the tip. I don't want to settle until they take care of this completely! That car was the only "asset" I had after my divorce, and I'm stuck with nothing now. I am borrowing my grandpa's old truck, but it only seats 2, and I have 2 kids so.....​

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I did call my insurance company as soon as I got home. There isn't much they'll do since it was the other person's fault. I see school buses speeding, not stopping all the way, and being reckless a lot. It really bothers me. I know they are in a hurry, but I'd rather the kids sit on the bus a few more minutes then take chances. And there weren't even any kids on the bus at the time of the accident, so there was no reason for her to be in such a hurry.

Yes safety should be the number one concern, but often drivers get distracted and forget their training. When you speak to the company rep, make sure to get the name of the insurance company, just in case you have trouble getting results.

I work in public transit, and I can just about guarantee you that driver is currently unemployed. We never let people that cause accidents to drive buses again. If an accident is no-fault, they go back into training for 8 weeks, if it is someone else's fault, they spend 3 days in review training just in case there was something they could have done differently.

Good luck!

Thank goodness you are ok! I think it was wise that you went to the hospital since you've got some memory loss and were obviously disoriented following the accident.
hugs.gif

Your insurance company should be providing you with a rental car. My mother has been in a couple accidents (neither were her fault) and both times her insurance provided a rental and had her car fixed. As I understand it, it is up to your insurance company to then go after whoever was liable for the accident, in this case the bus company/driver.

I don't know what kind of policy you have, but I think you should call them back and question that. You pay for insurance not just for when an accident is YOUR fault, it's also so that someone will take care of things when it's not!
somad.gif

Quote:
Document document document. I was in a serious car accident and at first we weren't aware how serious it is. Get a good lawyer, not one of those tv lawyers either, reserach and find a good lawyer who specializes in car accidents. Not one who wants to get you in and out quick. a good lawyer takes his/her time.

It may take a couple of months for all of the injuries to come to light so do not accept a settlement right away! do not sign anything, and a good lawyer will tell you to wait and see. Once you have a lawyer any medical bills should be put on hold, when you have to pa, send the bills to your lawyer and he will inform them that he is handling your case and not only will the lawyer get them payed but can often negotiate for a lower bill.

look for a lawyer right away. and is tress do not settle right away, and everything offered, even an offer to pay for your car, you must go to your lawyer first, it may be a trick to get you to sign something releasing them of liability.

It took two weeks to realize my shoulder was broken in half, and a couple of months to realize I had developed A-vascular necrosis from the accident and a couple of months later to get surgery, then two years of physical therapy as new issues popped up. If I had settled right away I may have been stuck with the bill. now any medical bills I get I send to my lawyer, and I do not get hounded or herassed to pay..

also if in the middle of the case you realize your lawyer does not have your best interests in mind you cans witch lawyers. the new lawyer will negotiate a pay with the old lawyer form the settlement you will get from the bus.

also understand that claims take time so don't call the lawyer every day but I call once every couple of weeks and ask them if they need anything from me and ask for updates. Be patient and misunderstanding and they will be very eager to accommodate you.

Also a good lawyer will not make you pay up front, and will not ask for more that 45 percent of your settlement. (Mine asks for forty, and he's the best in north Alabama) They will usually ask for more than your medical bills and car bills to cover their fees, and you may get pain and suffering which there is no shame if you are hurt in a way that it affects you ability to work, go to school, or dayly life.

good way to research is look for reviews online and ask various doctors whom they think does their patients justice. Especially since your doctors will have to work close with the lawyer and will need a good relationship to get th records back and forth in a timely manner.

DO not ignore anything either, I ignored the pain in my shoulder and almost lost the entire shoulder to AVN (basically where the bone dies) any new development get your butt to the doctor and don't be reserved now is not the time to be reserved about how bad you feel.

remember this is about you, getting you well, and getting your bills paid for from someone else's mistake, do not feel pushed into doing anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. and get a lawyer!

Back
Top Bottom