A stoat is killing my chickens. I need immediate help! He is bold.

coop definetely needs to be secure and I agree weasels are are real pest, I had never heard of a stoat until today, we don't have them around here but that little fella couldn't even lift an egg above his head.
Maybe he was just a young one and thus less shy and could become a danger but having just discovered a stoat for the first time I'd rather root for the stoat and secure the coop than kill the stoat.

edit: oh wow, I just read that stoats get bigger than weasels?

Last edited:
coop definetely needs to be secure and I agree weasels are are real pest, I had never heard of a stoat until today, we don't have them but that little fella couldn't even lift an egg above his head.
Maybe he was just a young one and thus less shy and could become a danger but having just discovered a stoat for the first time I'd rather root for the stoat and secure the coop than kill the stoat.

He been here since the beginning of winter so possibly a yearling? Also the egg that he had was a bantams to scale. Don't know when they reach adulthood.

We got another one.
20210516_091301.jpg

coop definetely needs to be secure and I agree weasels are are real pest, I had never heard of a stoat until today, we don't have them around here but that little fella couldn't even lift an egg above his head.

A stoat is just another name for a short tailed weasel. They’re small and are capable of killing every bird in a single night.

I came home today to find a "cute" little stoat walking by my house herding a chicken egg. I didn't think much of it, I took a video in fact. Let me know if you want to see the video. Well it has been here for the winter and I quickly looked up if they kill chickens, a quick google search said that they only killed chicks... I paid no mind. Well anyway when I came inside my family told me that 5 chickens were missing, only two found, one missing a head... Did a stoat do all of this? Was there another predator? The missing chickens are 2 full growns and 3 bantam.
How to I catch it asap? It also sneaks around the house at night, meaning that mouse traps and ect. are also possible. I just want it dead. It got so bold. After I found out and ran outside to check on my chickens I saw it looking at them from under a car and even when I got in front of my chickens it still approached. I tried to smush it and it ran back under the car.

Sorry if my text is I dunno plain, but I'm kinda texting on autopilot. I just loved them so much.
We just call them weasles and yes they eat chickens. And if there's enough to eat they'll stay and multiply! I would buy a Live Trap, bait it with something meaty eggs, leftovers, dead chicken, whatever you've got. Or skip the trap entirely and just buy a .22

I have never had to deal with any type of weasel but know they don't just kill for food but also for the sport. I would try to trap it and eliminate it. From my research they can be relentless and decimate a flock. They may be cute but can be deadly for your birds. There are plenty of YouTube videos on trapping them. They won't usually kill a larger bird but mostly go for bantams and smaller birds such as quail. Good luck...

Agree that he is cute, but I guarantee that he Is capable of killing many full grown chickens in one night.
If he can get in the coop when chickens are roosting at night, he can do what is called cashe killing. ( killing food for later)
I once had a least weasel get in my coop through a small knot hole in a floor board. He went down the roost and felled 7 full grown chickens. Fixed the hole and Caught him the next night in live trap baited with leg quarter of one of the chickens he killed.
Another gained entrance to my coop through a mole tunnel and killed my broody hen and her 3 2 month old chicks. Reinforced my coop apron and Caught him the next night in live trap baited with one of the dead chicks
Here is his picture. Yes he is about the size of a red squirrel or chipmunk.
View attachment 2667671
I live in harmony with my weasel as they greatly reduce rodent populations. Just keep chickens tightly secure at night time.
I saw some videos on YouTube of weasels picking off chickens in coops at night. Of course the chickens didn't know it was there and it picked them off one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom