A swelling of some kind

Yonaton

Songster
12 Years
Jun 28, 2007
West TN
Hi all,

My chicks will be 2 weeks old this sunday. I was checking them this evening and noticed one of them had a slight swelling on the left leg.
I watched her for a few minutes and she's walking fine, no limping. She's eating and drinking fine too.
So I grabbed her up to look closer. It's on the left thigh, slightly in front of it and slightly inside of it and on it.
It's not a 'hard' swelling, It was somewhat 'gushy', and it didn't seem to hurt her any when I was touching it.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong or what it might be? They're inside the house now, so I'd be willing to bet it isn't any kind of sting (which would be a 'hard' swelling anyway).

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

Hum... I would guess it might be infected, but from what? This sounds gross, but try squeezing it and see if anything runs out and if it doesn't you might try poking a small hole with a needle or something else sharp. It sounds like it needs to be popped so the infection can run out. Now that's just what I would do, but you do whatever you want to. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Andi
smile.png

Yep, that's what it looks like should be done, but since it isn't really a swelling that's 'full'...it isn't stretching the skin, and I couldn't find any 'bumps', like one would find if it was, say, a cyst. It's really strange.

I'll keep a close eye on her the next day or two and see if anything changes.

As for possibly it being an infection or something inside her, what's an antibiotic I could add to their water (I figure if it is something inside, it won't hurt to put them *all* on something for a week...just in case)?

Well....it looks like the swelling went away. No tellin' what the heck it was. Now, if I could just get 'em all to use the dusting box I made for 'em I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom