A tale of woe

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I'll start at the begining, my dad lost his job. We knew we would have to move (for the 6th time in 5 years). let me tell you about where we lived, it was an island in puget sound, WA. It was natural and in the country and I LOVED it. I did NOT want to move again. I am a person who would live in a tree in the middle of a forest if I could. Nature is where I feel at home and happy. So moving away from the island really hurt me. My dad got a job offer in salem OR, and that is where I wanted to be ( or so I thought). We had been searching for a house and weren't having any luck. My dad left for Salem 2 weeks before us and he found a house for us. I NEVER EVEN SAW IT! I had no say in the matter but dad made it sound soooo great. So we pack up the truck and drive down to our new house. When we get there I am horrified. It is a house in the middle of a suburban neighborhood with only a fence between houses and NO green areas nearby. The house itself is great but i really dont care about the house, I care about the yard and area around it. The yard is TINY, barely big enough for the chickens and the closest natural area is 2 MILES AWAY. This is exactly the OPPOSITE of the house I wanted. I could deal with it if the yard was bigger or there was a open space nearby, but this has NEITHER. And this is where I am going to LIVE for at least the next FOUR YEARS! GAAAAAAA!

Sorry for the frustration, but when unemployment numbers are so high...a man has to do what a man has to do! Don't give your dad a hard time. I bet he wishes he could give you your own island where chickens roamed free and you have a 3000 sq ft treehouse with high speed cable
big_smile.png

A small yard CAN be a little paradise. I have a tiny yard and my friends who have huge houses like to come by and sit on the garden swing and feed my ducks. If you need help making the yard your own little oasis, let me know.

Of course you have no say, you also have no bills or the responsibilty of a family to care for.... Adapt! Your dad is doing the best he can. This post sounds selfish to me. You have plenty of things to be THANKFUL for it sounds like to me. Dad has a job, you have a place to live..etc. etc. I moved a lot when I was a kid too, and I am still alive. Best to make the best of it and drop the "I don't like it" attitude. It'll just make things worse on a very personal level for you. I'm sure you are tougher than you let on like you are. Figure it out. Best of luck to you!

Daddy buys the house, children live there.

My Dad never ever once asked me about a car, house, truck, or even the lawnmower I was to use to cut the grass.

My advice when life hands you a bag of lemons-- make lemonade.

Funny thing about life...it doesn't always work out the way
we plan.

I've never met your father, but I'd have to say I respect him.

You're complaining about having to leave the island. Ever think
maybe your father liked it there also? But he put something above
the island...Like his family.

Look at all the things he's really done.

Apparently you family is together. That's pretty cool.
Your father has a job. Sounds like he's always worked at something.
He's trying to make things work out, trying to take care of his family.

So your yard isn't exactly the way you wished. I'll bet there's a
family in some homeless shelter that would love your yard.

Maybe even another young girl out there somewhere that wishes she
was as lucky as you...You've got a father that loves you, doing what he
can to provide for you.

Off hand, I'd say you're a pretty lucky girl.

I understand your frustration but really, it could be worse. I'm sure your dad is doing the best he can for his family.

Sometimes it's difficult to see the whole picture when we're kids, but I can assure you that soon enough you'll be old enough to move out on your own and go anywhere in the world that you may wish. I know it feels like a long time to wait, but it comes sooner than you think!

Back
Top Bottom