A tiny mouse scared the heck out of my 3 month old EEs!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrsbos, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    This afternoon, I was trying to put my 3 EEs into their coop because I was headed out to dinner and wouldn't be back till after dark. For some reason, they were terribly agitated about going into their coop to the point I had to chase them all down to lock them up. When I closed the coop door they were frantically trying to get out---I could see sheer panic in their eyes. I opened the back door to the Eglu to see if there was anything in there, and there was nothing......and then I saw the horrible monster....a tiny mouse the size of a 50 cent piece running out in the lawn next to the coop. I had seen a couple of mice running through the wire cage of the run to steal the crumbs of chicken feed before, but had no idea the pullets were deathly afraid of them. I do not store the feed outside, so what the mice are going after are the crumbs left from the chickens having their dinner. I didn't think the chickens would be so.....well....chicken! I'm hoping when they're older they might even go after and eat the mice! I felt so bad leaving the girls there in their panic, but I couldn't have them out of the coop after dark and I had to leave the house. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some mouse traps to put around the coop overnight.....or try the bucket trap or something. I'm gonna get these buggers for scaring my babies!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    WOW, mine would have been all over that! They love it when a mouse comes out and they catch it. It's the funniest thing to watch!!

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:X2

My hen's would have ravaged that little beast until nothing but a pile of bones was left. Heck, they prolly would've eaten the bones too!

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have a silkie who hates mice she will kill them.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    LOL!! That happened to me about a month ago. I had put the big girls in the coop so the little ones could have the run for awhile. The pullets all starting screaming! I ran into the coop and the three pullets and the cockerel were all piled in one corner, shaking and squawking. I was almost afraid to turn around, thinking there might be a big snake on the ledge over the doorway. Looked around and saw nothing. One pullet was eyeballing something, so I looked in that direction, and there was the tiniest mouse I had ever seen! [​IMG] They all reminded me of the cartoons, where the woman is standing on a chair, screaming, with her petticoats up in the air! [​IMG] Silly chickens. They'll chase the cats, but were afraid of that...sheesh

6. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow That would have never happened in my Coup! I watched one day as my little carnivores fought over 1 little tiny mouse that TRIED to run thru the Outside run! BTW he did not make it 12 inches into the run and my little RIR captured him and the fight was on between the girls to see who got the biggest piece! Needless to say there wasn't even a piece of fur left to identify the Body! I don't see a lot of mice in the house or run or if I do NOT for very long! Snakes are the same seen them durnig the summer dispatch a 24 inch snake after the Roo plucked his head off

Ernie

7. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens eat mice. They fight over them. Yuck!

8. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I hope the girls have a different attitude when they're older. I'm so disgusted, I was just out in the freezing cold deciding if I should close the pop door (I think that's what it would be called) to the Eglu because it is going to get down into the teens tonight and I wanted the girls to be cozy. As I'm standing in front of the coop shivering, two teeeny tiny mice coming prancing into the run about 2 ft away from me, and start chowing down on crumbs in the grass. Then I find another one taking shelter under the tarp I have over the run. I did not spend $$$$$ on a chicken coop and run to shelter mice! I really need to get to the store and get those traps.....or maybe I'll get lucky, and they'll fall into the chicken's water and drown/freeze to death. That happened once about a month ago. At the time, I threw the half frozen carcass out to my then 2 month olds, and they were not interested at all. If I didn't despise cats so much, I'd get one!

9. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

Two words~~~!!! BUCKET TRAP!!!!

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    my chickies would have been all over that poor mouse! YUM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by