A tragedy

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MyMiniFarm, Mar 25, 2015.

1. MyMiniFarm

MyMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Well I don't know how to start this... But my free range layer flock has been attacked, coyotes took 7/13 of our hens, including Mazie a hen who's head was nearly ripped off by a mink and she couldn't lift her head but she looked better and better, she survived. Mazie was a very special hen and she's nowhere to be found. This was a very tradgic day for our girls.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss. Be prepared, the coyotes will return.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry about the losses. Unfortunately predators do tend to come back looking for more, so be careful.

4. MyMiniFarm

MyMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Thank you! 2 of our hens showed up this morning alive but very scared and short a lot of feathers. Unfortunately this means no more free run for them. We have a large pen but it's just not the same as running around the whole property. It'll take some getting used to as they had been free run for 4 years and this was the first time we had ever had birds killed while out.

5. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Good Luck with the rest of your birds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by