A Treat in Question for My Pearl Grey Guineas Keets.

WCReloaded

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
I have recently purchased my first guineas I have owned. I bought a dozen and have had them for 5 days already. I would like to start having them come to my feed call. I have a 50 lb bag of cracked corn that I am thinking about using as a treat. I just wanted you know your opinion on this treat to use.

WCR

Mine like shredded lettuce, thawed out frozen corn or peas, cut-up grapes, cut up cherry tomatoes and scratch made from white millet and cracked corn. ---------- and any bugs you can catch!!!
lol.png

Mine love peas, corn, shredded romaine lettuce, cracked corn - like mentioned above - but for a real treat, I buy unsalted, roasted peanuts (in the shell) for them. Some of my spoiled "babies" prefer when I shell the peanuts for them, but the majority like it when I just crack the peanut shells in half for them, letting them dig the peanuts out.

Going to try unsalfed sunflower seeds and thawed corn for treats tonight for my "almost" 4 week old guineas. I have 8 of these little buggers..pics to come eventually, and I,m new to guineas, and new to the forum, but thanks so much , this is an excellent place for information! I am really enjoying my birds!

Black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) in the shell are high nutrition treats. Corn is an all-time favorite of just about all animals (including humans) but is empty calories and almost zero nutrition. I give it to my birds occasionally, but prefer BOSS, fresh veggies and the like. Keep the peels from your carrots and cucumbers, old cucumbers, pumpkin with seeds, old grapes, dark leafy greens that you don't want to eat. All of those things are better than cracked corn. Corn is like giving them a cake. Be sparing with it. Oh, and giving "older" foods from the fridge is great, just not TOO old. Nothing rotting or rotten, and no salt, preservatives, MSG, etc. Keep it as organic as you can. Shelled sunflower seeds are great, but expensive. BOSS is cheaper and just as good.

Back
Top Bottom