A Video Message From Me - Culling Complete - Update on Post #1

EATING THE FLESH OF BIRDS WITH THE KNOWN FACT THEY CARRY mg crd OR ANY OTHER RESPIRATORY INFECTION IS A no no
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO EAT THE FLESH OF SICK BIRDS
AND THESE BIRDS BLOOD SAYS THEY ARE SICK

with that said it is sad one buys a sick bird and carriwa it home

that is why swap meet people have no heart
they take birds they know are sick and too cheap to cull them and lose money

it is a must that folks do not buy the birds at swap meets

I was around when swap meets FIRST started and we did not have this kind of respiratory diseases in pure bred flocks

I feel for every one who has to cull their flock because some one felt it neccessary to sell sick birds

remember you can get it from shipped chicks also
if the owner had hens that carried the MG or CRD disease and then hatched the eggs

so sorry for the loss of your whole flock.

any questions email me

Quote:
No bizarrely wrinkled eggs here, nor any swollen eyes. A while ago I did find one shell-less egg, but that was toward the end of their molt. There have been a couple asymetrical ones here and there, like a lopsided oval.

One chick did die last week (my favorite by the way) 1mo. old, she just laid in the coop that day and didn't resist being held in any way. I brought her inside and she died later that night. The others seem fine except for the cough. One other hen was very listless for a couple days, then recovered. So... I don't know.

I wish I could have them test, but am afraid of alerting authorities. (Grr... stupid chicken city laws!) At this point I'll just keep my chickens to myself. Good to know it is safe to eat their eggs and meat... now I know what I must do with any roos I hatch.

Again PC, thank you!

I thought birds w/ MG don't always show symptoms, so one may not even know their bird is a carrier of the disease when they sell it.

there are a aweful lot of folks with sneezing birds, birds with swollen eyes etc right now
as the wet damp cold then hot weather brings this on
also many of you may not realize the wild birds do carry the MG CRD coryza etc

my advise is to buy neomycin or gallimycin for these ailments
at the beginning of the sickness

and terrmycin mediacations evn though the pkg says it helps these diseases it is worthless

so try and keep the wild birds out of the chicken feed and waterers

also put
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their gallon of water
to keep good gut flora to fight disease

keep your birds in excellent condition
also do not let any one in to see the birds
or do not go to some one elses place to look at birds

this is all part of biosecurity
any questions email me

I live in Australia what I like to know is does MG affect this region. I read alot about it on byc and after watching the video I really need to clean my act up. I visit other people with chicken and neither they nor me change our shoes or anything. My next door neighbor goes to auctions and get any type of chicken there and throws them in with the rest of his flock. I only have 4 silkies but I love them and would hate to lose them. I am so sorry for your loss and a massive big thank you for posting the video as it has really got me to change my ways.

According to the Arkansas livestock commission, when MG is discovered in a commercial flock, the recommendation is that they be MARKETED immediately. The all-in, all-out. All the birds are slaughtered for CONSUMPTION. This is common practice across the United States.

It is common practice but do we have to eat the flesh just because the commercial people sell it to the public
Raising your own meat is to have good clean meat for the family

I am still of my opinion that you eat it if it doesn't worry you but for me I will not eat sick tested birds

On the bird not showing symptoms is this fact

birds that do carry MG or CRD will heal over yet have it in their systems and lay and act normal etc

but then when they are sold they go to NEW locations and are not used to this location set up
then they become sick with the MG or CRD again

thus you see it starts all over again at the new place

like wise with chicks hatched from MG or CRD hens they will wait till they get to the new place to start sneezing and coughing

It is a never ending thing that birds go thru
any questions email me

In everything I've researched it said the birds were safe for consumption because MG is not zoonotic. The state vet said it was fine, too. Knowing the wild bird population has it - what would that do for people who hunt wild birds for meat like turkey, duck or quail? Something to think about...

As for Australia - maybe? I know the UK has it and they just live with it, they don't try to eradicate it. I would guess it's present worldwide, but I just don't know.

With as fragile as MG is I doubt it would survive for long in a processed
bird.

There are thousands of various types of bacteria in everything we eat.
Most have no effect on us, even if we eat it live.

Oysters anyone? Pass the Sushi please...

Ok, I finally watched the videos on the work computer (it has the appropriate flash version, so nice to have tech support). Anyway. As you stated, I won't feel sorry for the situation. You did know better.
smack.gif
. I am, however, impressed with your attention to detail after the fact. I appreciate that you called the state in, were weary of the results...you were cautious when you came over and i like that you spray down with germ killer at another friend's home. You continue to be a source of information and pride for me. From our first meeting when I learned how to cull, to ordering more birds than we should, to seeing how healthy you've become, and now to the realities of bio-security, I'm glad to call you my friend.

Now, if you need help culling and processing those going to freezer, you know i will help. It will be a somber, reflectful time.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom