gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your birds.
hit.gif

Thanks for sharing though. As a newbie, I appreciate your letting us see the devastating effect one mistake can make. It certainly has opened my eyes and made me think of ways I can do a better job of protecting our little flock.

It's good to know that you can at least salvage the meat. It would be a double shame to have to destroy them completely.
hugs.gif

I didn't read all the posts but I saw this video at work yesterday. I just sort of stumbled upon it. Good thing, too, because I was ready to go and get more chickens this year and just throw them in with my others (I KNOW that is so wrong, I mean, I really know that should not be done!) So this experience of yours brought me back into a sobering reality. I am not ready for any more chickens at the present time because I don't have a quarantine coop for them. I do have one question, tho. How far away is far enough for a quarantine coop?

So heartbroken for your loss.
hit.gif

But thanks ever so much for posting. Your message was received loud and clear by me.
thumbsup.gif

Don...it takes guts like you had to cull your flock in reflection of contaminating someone elses. My kudos for your strength and selflessness. ~barb

A word about quarantines....

It's not a foolproof method. I did quarantine the birds that brought MG to my flock. The thing about MG is that infected birds, once they are over the initial symptoms, become carriers. So they will spread the disease without showing signs of illness themselves.

A basic quarantine isolates the new birds from your flock for a few weeks. You should always take care of your birds first, then the quarantined birds. (Ideally, you'd disinfect your shoes and change clothes once you're back at the house.)

To take it one step further, after the few weeks are up and the basic quarantine is over and the new birds appear healthy... take one of your birds and put it in with the new birds and wait a few more weeks. This will check for those latent carrier diseases. If your bird remains healthy, then turn everyone out together.

My plan is to avoid buying adult birds altogether.

A word about quarantines....

It's not a foolproof method. I did quarantine the birds that brought MG to my flock. The thing about MG is that infected birds, once they are over the initial symptoms, become carriers. So they will spread the disease without showing signs of illness themselves.

Absolutely true, Karen. This is why I never buy birds, even chicks, now. Even then, there are so many things that can happen, even if you are vigilant about biosecurity.​

Quote:
Absolutely true, Karen. This is why I never buy birds, even chicks, now. Even then, there are so many things that can happen, even if you are vigilant about biosecurity.

For those that follow this practice (and I completely understand why) how do you add new genetic diversity to your flocks? Hatching eggs? What do you consider a safe way to add new blood?

I'm sorry if this should be a new topic.

-Cindy in MA

Back
Top Bottom