A wild mallard tried to join my flock?

zooweemama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Far Northern California
Well at least briefly. ;) Yesterday we were all outside watching the ducks. As they are 5 and 8 weeks old they are still next to the house. They were playing in their pools and foraging. I noticed that our girl Pearl (Pekin) was holding one of our brown ducks away from the rest of the flock. She would not let her come over. The other 2 Pekins noticed and ran over to investigate. It was at that moment I realized that brown duck was not ours. She was staring over at all the other ducks and the pools of water and looked like she wanted to come over and play. I felt SO sad for her. From looking at pictures here- I realize she was a female mallard. Small like my little WH. All the sudden all 6 of my 8 week olds banned together and proceeded to run her off. And towards the darn pond which my ducks have never seen yet. I had to chase after all of them to get my ducks to come back up because they almost hit the pond (eek!) then suddenly the sad lonely pretty looking mallard flew off.

Is that normal? She was completely alone and she was ALL the way by where WE were (the ducks were there too)...we felt kind sad for her. We haven't seen her back.

Last edited:
Sadly Yes that is normal. Some single Mallards get lost from the flock and try to hang around other ducks. However, your ducks did the normal thing and protected the flock from a "outsider"

Sadly Yes that is normal. Some single Mallards get lost from the flock and try to hang around other ducks. However, your ducks did the normal thing and protected the flock from a "outsider"
Aww It's probably sad that I felt so sad for her. She looked so lonely. She was holding her ground staring over at all the rest of the ducks like she wanted to join. The 5 week olds weren't minding but the 8 week olds haven't even welcomed the 5 week olds in the 'flock'. And it's been 3 weeks since we started putting them together. :(

Aww It's probably sad that I felt so sad for her. She looked so lonely. She was holding her ground staring over at all the rest of the ducks like she wanted to join. The 5 week olds weren't minding but the 8 week olds haven't even welcomed the 5 week olds in the 'flock'. And it's been 3 weeks since we started putting them together. :(
I wouldn't be too concern yet it took quite awhile for my ducks to really "Accept" the new ones as part of the flock. I was just glad to get past the pecking order stage.

We have 32 mallards milling about the back pasture. Looks to be a mix of ages. They visit often and start landing when we turn the animals out in the morning.

Don't feel badly, it saw what looked like a safe place to gab a bite to eat. It's a wild duck and they know safety in numbers.

Aww, I feel sorry for her too. Your ducks did the right thing, though. They know that outsiders could be dangerous, and it's good that they protect themselves when they can. But I do wish the poor mallard could be their friend! In a perfect world...

Back
Top Bottom