A wild turkey has joined my flock!

Mr Hen

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Southern Missouri
I'd noticed that something was following my chickens around a week ago, but I had assumed it was after them. Yesterday morning I went to give snacks to them. They all came running in from the forest and just behind was a wild turkey. The turkey hung out with my chickens all day around the yard. The rooster was not terribly pleased with it, but I don't think he had a plan of action. In the evening, a flock of turkeys came buy and our turkey left with them, but she was back today. I'm pretty sure she has been around them for a while.

Turkeys and chickens can get along great.
Doesnt always happen, but there are plenty of examples. In our little balcony we had turkeys until thanksgiving and they got along swell with our chickens. Maybe too well, the chickens still give me dirty looks every time I eat a sandwich.

Oh yeah, I have wild turkeys who free range and live with my birds. Never an issue yet except for the jealous rooster as you mentioned. I have seen my TUKTUK(wild turkey tom) having a joust with a rooster. No deaths yet but the turkeys seem to have sucky eyesight to begin with. It is funny to watch sometimes.
The only concern I ever have from mixing the two are wild turkeys can be stoopid sometimes when they are around chicks and squish them by accident. Male toms will even kill chicks when the are ornery.

Your wild turkeys sound like the real WILD turkeys. I like that, mine are tame domestic wild turkeys. Just be careful if the pack of turkeys show up at once and help themselves to the feed... They are pigs and they will challenge chickens or roosters to the feed rights first.Outside of that I think it's cute. I would love to see pics of this.. Steve

Oh yeah, I have wild turkeys who free range and live with my birds. Never an issue yet except for the jealous rooster as you mentioned. I have seen my TUKTUK(wild turkey tom) having a joust with a rooster. No deaths yet but the turkeys seem to have sucky eyesight to begin with. It is funny to watch sometimes.
The only concern I ever have from mixing the two are wild turkeys can be stoopid sometimes when they are around chicks and squish them by accident. Male toms will even kill chicks when the are ornery.

Your wild turkeys sound like the real WILD turkeys. I like that, mine are tame domestic wild turkeys. Just be careful if the pack of turkeys show up at once and help themselves to the feed... They are pigs and they will challenge chickens or roosters to the feed rights first.Outside of that I think it's cute. I would love to see pics of this.. Steve
X2!! Would love to see pics!

Yes, this is a real wild turkey. I didn't see her today, but we were gone during most of the time she was around Saturday and Sunday. I'm pretty sure that she has been around for a while. I have a few pics, but it will take a while to post them.

In order to steal our chicken feed, she would have to go inside the coop through the chicken run, so I don't think that is likely. For one thing, she might have some difficulty getting through the chicken door.

I wonder if she has a nest? If she was with a turkey flock, the tom might have had a chance with her. Keep your eyes peeled, in a few weeks you might ahve baby turkeys hanging around!

My wife was home today and she is still hanging around. I just hope she sticks around during hunting season because she's a little too comfortable around people to last long.

Back
Top Bottom