a WWYD winter in CA

Concordmommy

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Cold weather is coming here...but not cold like in the east. Supposedly will get down around 35-40 at night around here. This morning I had to scrape a little ice off the car.

Our five chickens are in a garden coop where the henhouse is covered by the roof and some hardware cloth. All around is wood and a few ventilation holes, but it's an open roof. So far they've been pretty good but I'm getting worried that they will be getting cold soon. Should I do a heat lamp? If so, what should the wattage be? The henhouse is small, only around 4x4 feet. Should I cover the top with a tarp or a blanket or something too? WWYD? Thanks!

I just covered the roof part so there is no gusts coming in, and it should take the edge off the chill. They snuggle so I think that's all I will need to do. I covered it with a layer of towels and a tarp.

I was begining to wonder the same thing. I live nearby as well and have been noticing it getting colder at night. It's already kinda breezy all the time here in this valley so my run has three walls. I was curious if they would get cold if they were used to how the climate is warm most of the time if it started getting colder and actually kinda having a winter around here.

Chickens can take much colder temps--you should read about the ones in Canada, and Alaska, where it is below zero most of the time. You don't want to put anything (heat wise) in such a small coop as it will overheat FAST, and they need to acclimate to the colder temps. Also make sure they have plenty of ventilation up high, as moisture can build up fast in a small coop, and keep the poop cleaned out.

We're in a severe winter zone, some thoughts in a link below. But I think baffling the wind is your primary concern- if you add heat you have a possible fire hazard and if your birds lose feathers, you'll have another set of problems!
cool.png

I agree with LynneP. I just make sure they are out of the wind and the coop stays dry. Mine haven't had any problems with the frost we've been getting, and the coop has hardware cloth ventilation along the top of 2 sides. The roof hangs over far enough to keep the rain out.

Back
Top Bottom