AAAAHHH Chicken with funny leg...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yodercountrygirl, Nov 17, 2009.

1. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a hen that has a bum leg... She lays on the ground and the leg is straight out in front of her. I picked her up and felt around and it doesn't seem broke and she didn't holler when I felt around. They have been cooped for 2 days and counting because it is pouring down rain. My rooster is getting very rough with the girls and so I put her into the nesting box so the others don't get to her.

I will try and seperate her tomorrow, but is there anything else I need to do.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is she essentially doing the splits? That is the classic sign of mareks. So sorry [​IMG]

3. CESOrtega

CESOrtega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    I've recently had a pullet who was limping. She would stand with her bad leg straight out in front of her. I went through several possibilities: bumblefoot, slipped tendon, but none seemed to be the problem. I gave her some poly visol vitamins for about a week and kept her inside in a box where her mobility was restricted. She is back to normal now, about two weeks later.

I hope the problem with your chicken turns out to be what I suspect was the problem with mine (a pulled muscle) and not the more serious possibilities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by