AAHHHHHHH! THE FIRST EGG FINALLY!

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
Came out this afternoon to put the chickens away when I saw it. At first I thought one of the chickens had moved one of the fake eggs to the other box...but then I looked closer. And I screamed, very loudly....screamed at my mum, my dad, my sisters....Ebony was so chill, she acted like nothing had happened! I have 3 other chickens, but is was DEFINITELY Eb, ones a cockerel, the other two are 26 weeks but no comb development yet, and Eb has been squatting for a week or so. (I also saw the tiny imprint of her body in the hemp bedding) I’m still shook. For some reason, I am feeling so much regret that I didn’t like WATCH her lay that egg. Sadly I was too busy looking at pictures of chickens. This is a MOMENTOUS occasion, my FIRST EVER EGG from my own chicken!!!!!! I am also very happy that it has a strong shell, even though they were only partially on layer feed, and didn’t touch shell grit. Tomorrow I will eat it and see what it looks like inside. It weighs 35 grams or so, less than half a commercial egg. It is a creamy or tinted sort of colour, she is half silkie, half sebright I think.

A couple questions:

1. Does egg production start off slower? I’m yet to see how many she’ll lay this week (so excited!) but I’m expecting 1-3.

2. Should I immediately put them on 100% layer? They are about half on grower now, I gave them some shell grit but they don’t seem interested.

3. Will her laying affect the flock?

4. My other pullets are 27 weeks with no comb development yet, just a tiny hint of redness on their faces, is this normal?

Thanks! I’m so excited to eat the egg tomorrow!
7A593934-F433-4BF5-96AD-7B25897CA6C4.jpeg
FE7DC46C-E225-435B-9908-69CAA9849292.jpeg
A4656893-ACB0-405E-A36E-829D922F50EC.jpeg

Came out this afternoon to put the chickens away when I saw it. At first I thought one of the chickens had moved one of the fake eggs to the other box...but then I looked closer. And I screamed, very loudly....screamed at my mum, my dad, my sisters....Ebony was so chill, she acted like nothing had happened! I have 3 other chickens, but is was DEFINITELY Eb, ones a cockerel, the other two are 26 weeks but no comb development yet, and Eb has been squatting for a week or so. (I also saw the tiny imprint of her body in the hemp bedding) I’m still shook. For some reason, I am feeling so much regret that I didn’t like WATCH her lay that egg. Sadly I was too busy looking at pictures of chickens. This is a MOMENTOUS occasion, my FIRST EVER EGG from my own chicken!!!!!! I am also very happy that it has a strong shell, even though they were only partially on layer feed, and didn’t touch shell grit. Tomorrow I will eat it and see what it looks like inside. It weighs 35 grams or so, less than half a commercial egg. It is a creamy or tinted sort of colour, she is half silkie, half sebright I think.

A couple questions:

1. Does egg production start off slower? I’m yet to see how many she’ll lay this week (so excited!) but I’m expecting 1-3.

2. Should I immediately put them on 100% layer? They are about half on grower now, I gave them some shell grit but they don’t seem interested.

3. Will her laying affect the flock?

4. My other pullets are 27 weeks with no comb development yet, just a tiny hint of redness on their faces, is this normal?

Thanks! I’m so excited to eat the egg tomorrow!View attachment 2244424View attachment 2244425View attachment 2244427
Awesome! Some chickens just start laying every day and some do start slower. She will need more calcium than what's in the starter feed. Either switch or provide some oyster shells. There's definitely a bit of a change when one starts laying and the others aren't. Nothing bad though. Their combs and waddles do get darker red.

I have been getting eggs for a week and a half. My first one was a thrill. My first layer had some skips in days, but now she is laying every day. The first eggs are small, but they are starting to increase in size a little. Since that first egg, I have had three others start. Sunday I had a three egg day. Monday was a 4 egg day. Yesterday was three again. When I have a 9 egg day, all my girls will be layers

I have been getting eggs for a week and a half. My first one was a thrill. My first layer had some skips in days, but now she is laying every day. The first eggs are small, but they are starting to increase in size a little. Since that first egg, I have had three others start. Sunday I had a three egg day. Monday was a 4 egg day. Yesterday was three again. When I have a 9 egg day, all my girls will be layers
I think it really depends on breed. I have 2 barred rocks that seem to skip about the same amount of days. My Rhode island red has only skipped 2 days since February. They are known to be good egg layers.

Yep! I will switch to 100% layer feed, it shouldn’t hurt the other pullets and cockerel, right? They are 27 weeks...
I was suprised by how strong shelled the eggs was, I guess even them eating half layer was enough, they wouldn’t eat the shell grit, so I tried adding it to their scratch.

Back
Top Bottom