Abandoned Ducklings in Pond!

Averyb4Brooke

In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
In our neighborhood we have a community pond that can be used by any of the residents. So, fishing, kayaking, etc. But last night, someone decided that it was a good idea to dump their feed store ducklings in the pond and post on Facebook saying, "We put two ducks in the pond, hoping they survive." I didn't see the post until this morning, or I would've gone and tried to catch them immediately after their release. I figured they were already dead since a huge storm came through last night, but I went to check anyway and luckily they are still there! The problem is, they are very skittish and won't let me get too close to them before jumping back in the pond. I do not have a net to catch them in (besides a butterfly net, and they are too big for that. Haha), but I do have a raccoon trap? Could that work?

I've owned ducks before, so I know they can't survive since they are domesticated and not wild. They also still have baby fuzz, so I know they can't stay afloat very long on their own. Apart from that, we constantly have dogs roaming around that will kill them if given the chance, as well as snakes. The people that owned them are not very friendly people, so I am also trying not to start a feud of any sort... But I'm very worried and am trying to figure out the best course of action! Any help is appreciated!

Pictures of them:
BD7C6FC6-3B33-4280-83D0-FC626A4B4A63.jpeg
C6D6D355-C210-4D2B-80BB-CFBE12638B8F.jpeg

Do you have a kayak that you could bring out there to scare them on shore with? That’s what I did last year when I rescued some abandoned baby ducks. I made a big circle and scared them onto shore then got out of the kayak and caught them in my net. Or, you could have someone else waiting on shore to catch them for you. Good luck catching them! Keep me updated.

Do you have a kayak that you could bring out there to scare them on shore with? That’s what I did last year when I rescued some abandoned baby ducks. I made a big circle and scared them onto shore then got out of the kayak and caught them in my net. Or, you could have someone else waiting on shore to catch them for you. Good luck catching them! Keep me updated.
Unfortunately, I do not have a kayak. I tried to get between them and the water with a stick and with a towel, but I haven't had any luck so far. They're very scared, the poor babies. Thank you for the help!

Unfortunately, I do not have a kayak. I tried to get between them and the water with a stick and with a towel, but I haven't had any luck so far. They're very scared, the poor babies. Thank you for the help!
Maybe if you bring food you can lure them to you? I wish I could help! I would happily get in a pond if it came to saving animals. 😂

Poor babies. Hate when people get impulse ducklings just to dump them where they often die. With the internet and Google, all it tales is a quick search to know you shouldn't do this. They could have at least rehomed them if they couldn't care for them.
But props to you for young to rescue they babies!

Can you set out some food for them? Try to get them to eat something so they know it tastes good, then set in in a pen or cage and close it on them. Do you have any sort of dog crate or pen? Those work well.
It would be best to catch them both at the same time, so you don't scare the other off once you catch one.

Would the net not work for catching them though? If you can't use anything else that may be your best bet, assuming its long enough and the holes wernt too big.

Maybe if you bring food you can lure them to you? I wish I could help! I would happily get in a pond if it came to saving animals. 😂
Maybe use food to lure them? I bet their hungry, I mean, they're domestic ducks, right? So I don't think they know how to find food on their own.
That's my next step! I don't have any duck food available right now (just chicken feed lol!), so I will probably try fruit. I also have mealworms, but I can't remember if that is safe to give them?

Quick update on the people who abandoned them: They drove by to see what we were doing, then went back home and sent their kids to keep an eye on us. :rant

That's my next step! I don't have any duck food available right now (just chicken feed lol!), so I will probably try fruit. I also have mealworms, but I can't remember if that is safe to give them?

Quick update on the people who abandoned them: They drove by to see what we were doing, then went back home and sent their kids to keep an eye on us. :rant
Mealworms are absolutely safe!

Oh no... That's so sad. Thank you for trying to save them.

I think setting food in a pen and then closing the door after they go in would work great. Otherwise setting up a dog playpen area and "herding" them into it, perhaps with help.

Maybe someone can lend you a kayak?

Good luck. Please let us know when you catch them.

Back
Top Bottom