Abandoned egg piped for unknown about of time

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
I had 2 broodies who recently hatched out 7 chicks on the 4th. I was gathering today's eggs when I found an obviously older, dirtier egg. I turned it over and it had a tiny beak poking out, to my surprise they were alive! It was likely they'd been pushed in corner of the nesting box under the chopped straw, it had happened once before.

I put the egg in a rabbit hutch under a heat lamp. As I was looking for something to put over the top of the makeshift brooder, one of my Buff Orpingtons jumped inside, somewhat stepping on the egg. After the frantic removal, I picked up the egg: no blood surprisingly, still alive
IMG_20210907_134913.jpg

Should I just leave them protected under the heat lamp or would assisted hatching be more appropriate?

Last edited:
I had 2 broodies who recently hatched out 7 chicks on the 4th. I was gathering today's eggs when I found an obviously older, dirtier egg. I turned it over and it had a tiny beak poking out, to my surprise they were alive! It has likely they'd been pushed in corner of the nesting box under the chopped straw, it had happened once before.

I put the egg in a rabbit hutch under a heat lamp. As I was looking for something to put over the top of the makeshift brooder, one of my Buff Orpingtons jumped inside, somewhat stepping on the egg. After the frantic removal, I picked up the egg: no blood surprisingly, still alive
View attachment 2825633

Should I just leave them protected under the heat lamp or would assisted hatching be more appropriate?
It looks ready to hatch IMO. I would assist, stop if you see blood. I doubt you will though.

This is how far I got before noticing anything
View attachment 2825675
They're still breathing and even blinking at me
View attachment 2825677
Is that unabsorbed yolk in there? I stopped and put them back under the heat lamp
That might be. Sit it in a cup upright. It may start becoming more active once it absorbs its yolk, but it looks like it could be a yolk sac that burst. This chicks usually don’t make it. Sorry…

Back
Top Bottom